Proxxon rotary tool? Any users, thoughts pro and against?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a 40 year old Dremel rotary tool that has seen thousands of hours of service and is now fixed to my fountain pen repair bench for nib work. I also have my late father-in-law's Foredom wall hanging unit, with much more grinding power and speed. I love them both for their strengths, don't use them in their weak areas. A friend is thinking of getting a Proxxon unit -- I've heard, read a lot of negative stuff about their lathes and other larger equipment, but does anyone here have experience with their rotary tools?
Many thanks,
Tim

I have the Proxxon rotary tool. Far better than the Dremel equivalent.

I have proxxon fbs240/e - bought about 15 years ago. Used mostly for drilling electronic boards, cutting with abrasive discs and some sanding - and for a few days as a spindle in cnc engraver. It's still fully usable - just a bit louder. I bought it mostly because it felt quieter than dremel tools I checked at this time.
I use it in conjunction with proxxon mbs140/s stand for drilling - while I'm really happy with the tool the stand is only "serviceable" (but still better than it's plastic counterpart from dremel) - currently I'm checking new version of this stand that looks more practical.
After fbs240 I brought quite a lot of proxxon tools - bandsaw fbs240, "milling combo" bfw40,bfb2000,kt150. Mini angle grinder LHW. And I'm quite happy with them. I also looked at lathes and mills but the price was a bit high for me.

Wysłane z mojego SM-N950F przy użyciu Tapatalka

I have a 40 year old Dremel rotary tool that has seen thousands of hours of service and is now fixed to my fountain pen repair bench for nib work. I also have my late father-in-law's Foredom wall hanging unit, with much more grinding power and speed. I love them both for their strengths, don't use them in their weak areas. A friend is thinking of getting a Proxxon unit -- I've heard, read a lot of negative stuff about their lathes and other larger equipment, but does anyone here have experience with their rotary tools?
Many thanks,
Tim
Proxxon's IBS/E is worth a look. The latest production now has dual nose bearings improving the radial loading capability greatly. Therefore avoid the earlier IB/E (no "S") with a single nose bearing. Both types seat the nose bearing/s in a machined aluminum diecast head, for good heat sinking. Further, the newer IBS/E allows bearing replacement through the front - a good feature - while the older IB/E required a special, deep, internal circlip remover plus loads of patience and some magic powers. Their FBS/E is downmarket for price-conscious users: same motor and circuit board, but all-plastic body (no heat sinking) and a lower grade single bearing.

Proxxon vs Dremel, whether old or new it is a clear win for Proxxon. I have a MicroMot 60, superior in every way to the Dremel. An added bonus is that their collets do not break at the slightest hint of having to do its job.

Since I got a Foredom, the Dremel has been relegated to trimming the dog's toenails :)

Back