PSA to H&L Conversion

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Has anyone ever converted their PSA disc to hook & loop on a bench disc sander? I was thinking about converting the 8" disc on my Jet 2x42 to h&l. Would be convenient to be able to change grits back & forth & still be able to reuse discs. But I'm not sure how the cushioning effect of the h&l would perform for metalworking. I've only ever used h&l on my palm sander for wood.

I just ordered new belts & discs yesterday & was thinking about this today. I've never heard of it being done on a bench disc sander for metalworking. If it does work, I suppose I could still use all the PSA discs I have & just bought by sticking them to a fine or worn out h&l disc.

What do you guys think?

My guess is the hook and loop will self-destruct. It will be too soft and the disc will distort and tear leading to an anomaly in flight.
Robert

That's exactly what happens.....been there, done that, got the scars to prove it.

I knew there had to be a reason why I couldn't find anyone who has done it. I wondered cause they make the PSA to H&L all the way up to 12". Do they even have orbital sanders that big?

Anyway, ok good, money saved. Thanks.

Thanks for the "why didn't I think of that" idea. Got my extra discs today. :eagerness:

20190812_150646-800x499.jpg

Back