[4]

PTO reverser gearbox

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
The farmer who leases my fields asked me if I could build him a gearbox to reverse the direction of the power take off of a standard tractor. I said sure if he buys the material. Well here's how it came out.
DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1607.jpg
I didn't take pictures of the normal machining processes like squaring up the material, drilling, tapping and dowel pin holes.
After that work was done I drilled and bored the gear center to center distance thru the bolted together blocks.

DSCF1598.jpg

Then it was off to the lathe where it's a lot easier to bore and face.

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1599.jpg

Then back to the mill to clean a little out of the sides.

DSCF1602.jpg

Again I didn't take any pictures of the standard turning/boring of the shafts and gears. But I did take one of putting a keyway in the gear with a bar I have that has a clapper box on.

DSCF1603.jpg

DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1607.jpg

DSCF1598.jpg

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1599.jpg

DSCF1602.jpg

DSCF1603.jpg

Last edited:

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Looks like you did a fine job of that. He should be a happy camper, er farmer ;)

Metalmann

Active User
Registered
Excellent job, OM. I see you also use HSS tool bits on your 4 jaw.

I think you did that job too cheap, that's a lot of set-ups for different operations.:whistle:

Just kidding, I also do those jobs for local farmers, sometimes bartering for fresh, farm eggs; and pork, lumber,...etc.

Again, fine work.

jgedde

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
That's sweet!!! I really like to see that it was made without CNC. I also like your broaching tool. I borrow broaches from work for that, but I will certainly reconsider my method! The splined shafts are simply beautiful...

Another POTM winner???

But, all the farmer needed was an Asian belt. Those spin backwards... :rofl:

John

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
Yes, high speed tool bits make nice spacers when you need them. That jaw wouldn't close without hitting the other jaws so it got the spacer.

The materials cost a little over $270 so I didn't charge him anything besides he always brings me fresh produce from his garden.

I'm waiting on some material to put seals/covers on the shafts that won't be in till next week.

jgedde

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Has he fired it up yet? I bet those spur gears make a great sound at PTO speed! What does it use for lubricant? I would say ISO 68 Hydraulic oil might be a good choice.

John

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
I haven't given it to him yet because I need to make the plates to put lip seals on the shafts and covers for the opposite sides. I'm planning on 90 wt gear oil in it.

I have broaches and mandrels to do keyways but my press is in another building so if I don't feel like walking over there I just use the bar in the lathe to shave in the keyways. It doesn't take very long to do it that way. I take about .0025" per cut and do a float pass every three or four cuts.

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I know this is an old thread and everything, but I have to ask: How did this gearbox attach to the PTO on the tractor?? Secondly, what type of attachment was he planning to run in reverse?? Since the gears are not very large, I assume that he is not planning to transmit much power through that box.

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
A PTO shaft will drive the gearbox. I havn't seen the attachment he's planning on driving but I think its a screw type log splitter. Deer season got in the way of me finishing this project. I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks.

Michaeljp86

Active User
Registered
If you can post some pics when he uses it, Id like to know what hes using it for.

dwdw47

Active User
Registered
Good job on the gear-case, as a lube I'd use a Molybdenum high pressure grease mixed with the 90 wt. those gears are small and will run hot if their loaded.
When you help the farmer install the gear-case make sure he uses a least an arm or pair of chains to hold the box from spinning around the drive gear( I assume its for the PTO).
It's embarrassing to just give a farmer piece thats a new modification.
Just my 2 cents
dwdw47

awander

Active User
Registered
Where did you get the gears that you used in that gearbox?

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
They're Martin S1236 stock gears that I bored and broached. You can get them from any bearing/power transmission supply house.

awander

Active User
Registered
What is the approximate cost on them, if you remember?

thanks,

genec

Active User
Registered
I believe we had something like that when I was a kid but it was about half the size of a bushel basket and I believe that also had a chain attached to it and the tractor draw bar to keep it from twisting. It was factory made. Good job.

shark_bytes

Registered
Very nice work.
Was wondering if you still might have a blue print on this? I'm in need a similar part.
I'm restoring a 1963 Chevy C50, and have added a dump bed. The hydraulic system is vintage Chevy.
My problem is the pump charges counter clockwise, and the PTO drive is clockwise.

Your design will fix my problem..

There are some differences. I need the input/output shafts to both be .75 with .25 flat key way.
These will attach to u joints.
If you have a interests in making another one of these gearboxes, I would be grateful.

If not, do you know someone who is making a similar part? This is a kink in my completing the lift bed.

Best regards
shark_bytes

[5] [7]