PTO reverser gearbox

OldMachinist

Bronze
Rest In Peace
The farmer who leases my fields asked me if I could build him a gearbox to reverse the direction of the power take off of a standard tractor. I said sure if he buys the material. Well here's how it came out.
DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1607.jpg
I didn't take pictures of the normal machining processes like squaring up the material, drilling, tapping and dowel pin holes.
After that work was done I drilled and bored the gear center to center distance thru the bolted together blocks.

DSCF1598.jpg

Then it was off to the lathe where it's a lot easier to bore and face.

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1599.jpg

Then back to the mill to clean a little out of the sides.

DSCF1602.jpg

Again I didn't take any pictures of the standard turning/boring of the shafts and gears. But I did take one of putting a keyway in the gear with a bar I have that has a clapper box on.

DSCF1603.jpg

DSCF1609.jpg

DSCF1607.jpg

DSCF1598.jpg

DSCF1600.jpg

DSCF1599.jpg

DSCF1602.jpg

DSCF1603.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you did a fine job of that. He should be a happy camper, er farmer ;)

Excellent job, OM. I see you also use HSS tool bits on your 4 jaw.

I think you did that job too cheap, that's a lot of set-ups for different operations.:whistle:

Just kidding, I also do those jobs for local farmers, sometimes bartering for fresh, farm eggs; and pork, lumber,...etc.

Again, fine work.

That's sweet!!! I really like to see that it was made without CNC. I also like your broaching tool. I borrow broaches from work for that, but I will certainly reconsider my method! The splined shafts are simply beautiful...

Another POTM winner???

But, all the farmer needed was an Asian belt. Those spin backwards... :rofl:

John

Yes, high speed tool bits make nice spacers when you need them. That jaw wouldn't close without hitting the other jaws so it got the spacer.

The materials cost a little over $270 so I didn't charge him anything besides he always brings me fresh produce from his garden.

I'm waiting on some material to put seals/covers on the shafts that won't be in till next week.

Has he fired it up yet? I bet those spur gears make a great sound at PTO speed! What does it use for lubricant? I would say ISO 68 Hydraulic oil might be a good choice.

John

I haven't given it to him yet because I need to make the plates to put lip seals on the shafts and covers for the opposite sides. I'm planning on 90 wt gear oil in it.

I have broaches and mandrels to do keyways but my press is in another building so if I don't feel like walking over there I just use the bar in the lathe to shave in the keyways. It doesn't take very long to do it that way. I take about .0025" per cut and do a float pass every three or four cuts.

I know this is an old thread and everything, but I have to ask: How did this gearbox attach to the PTO on the tractor?? Secondly, what type of attachment was he planning to run in reverse?? Since the gears are not very large, I assume that he is not planning to transmit much power through that box.

A PTO shaft will drive the gearbox. I havn't seen the attachment he's planning on driving but I think its a screw type log splitter. Deer season got in the way of me finishing this project. I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks.

If you can post some pics when he uses it, Id like to know what hes using it for.

Back