Pulled the trigger on a Grizzly G0759 Mill

OlBull

Registered
Registered
I'm new to the forum, but I thought I would share this new acquisition process with others. On April 23, I placed an order with Grizzly for their new G0759 mill with stand and DRO. Per Grizzly, it is backordered until May 23.

The Grizzly mill is sized right for my space requirements and it also fits my budget. There is a lot of information on the net about the G704; this machine is the same as the G704 but it also has a DRO.

I currently own a South Bend 9A lathe and a Miller MIG welder and enjoy working with metal. I want to make more tooling for the lathe so the next step had to be a milling machine......

Will keep you informed as the saga unfolds......

As you have probably read, there is a plastic gear in the drive train of the G0704 that can be easily damaged. The part number is 209 on the parts list, P0704209. It is $10 and is usually out of stock (I just checked and they show them in stock right now). I would suggest that you order at least one of these and better yet, get 2 to have on hand. You may never need it, but when my first one let go, it was out of stock for several months and my brand new mill was sitting unusable for that entire time. I went through 3 before building my belt drive conversion.

Very nice! They didn't have that machine when I purchased my PM25 (same machine, different motor/electronics), and I didn't know that right after I would purchase my machine, PM would stop carrying them. :(

If that machine had been around in Jan, I probably would have gotten that instead of mine. Good news is that if I need parts, the G0704 parts will fit. :D

NOTE: I just checked the Griz site yesterday, and they are showing manuals on the product page. Maybe they finally got them in stock?

Bill
P.S. I just saw Dan's post about the gears. I've not broken mine (knock on wood), yet, and am waiting for my pulley/belt conversion kit to get here. But, if you're interested, I have the two steel gears that are talked about on Hoss' G0704.com website. Never even took them out of the packaging.

I have a cnc'd G0704 and posted the gear availability info on another forum. It does pay to have a spare and I have now waited since December for them to be available again. Mine will be here Monday...finally!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

As you have probably read, there is a plastic gear in the drive train of the G0704 that can be easily damaged. The part number is 209 on the parts list, P0704209. It is $10 and is usually out of stock (I just checked and they show them in stock right now). I would suggest that you order at least one of these and better yet, get 2 to have on hand. You may never need it, but when my first one let go, it was out of stock for several months and my brand new mill was sitting unusable for that entire time. I went through 3 before building my belt drive conversion.

Great suggestion! I read on other threads supply of these gears were tight. Will order spares for sure.... Thanks

I have a G0704 I did strip my gear once but it was totely my fault. When I ordered it it said it was on backorder. Then that same day I got a tracking number and the gear showed up 2 day's later. I should order a spare or 2 but then again it has been almost 2 years and haven't had a problem.

I'm new to the forum, but I thought I would share this new acquisition process with others. On April 23, I placed an order with Grizzly for their new G0759 mill with stand and DRO. Per Grizzly, it is backordered until May 23.

The Grizzly mill is sized right for my space requirements and it also fits my budget. There is a lot of information on the net about the G704; this machine is the same as the G704 but it also has a DRO.

I currently own a South Bend 9A lathe and a Miller MIG welder and enjoy working with metal. I want to make more tooling for the lathe so the next step had to be a milling machine......

Will keep you informed as the saga unfolds......

I stopped by the Grizzly store in PA yesterday to pick up a few items for the new mill. I was advised by the sales guy that the G0759 mills are starting to show up at the Missouri store. He also stated my machine would be first delivered to the PA store before it was shipped to me. I figure that is fair progress since I was told the mill is on backorder until May 23.

And so it goes...

After reading about the G0704 on this web site I ordered one about 3 weeks ago as an upgrade to my HF mini mill. Mine came out of PA and took about a week to arrive. With help I had to dismantle it to get it into my shop on the lower level of my house. I have so far installed IGaging on the X and Y axes and am looking at Hoss for a three axis conversion. Right now I am planning on using the original lead screws. I had converted my HF to 2 axis with ball screws, so I already have software and some of the electronics I can use. The G0704 is definitely a step up from the mini mill particularly with the tapered gibs as compared to trying and adjust set screws. I also have to remind myself that the bottom line here is to machine something above and beyond just up grades for you machinery.:)) Have a good day. Lee

That reminds me of when I got my G0704 almost 4 years ago and my shop was still in our basement. I don't miss that! But we do what we have to.
Same thing.. broke her down to make the traverse down the stairs! But it is a good opportunity to clean all the cosmoline off and properly lubricate everything anyway.
I have a bigger mill now but still own my G0704...now fully converted and used daily. uploadfromtaptalk1400679106934.jpg

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

uploadfromtaptalk1400679106934.jpg

I stopped by the Grizzly store in PA yesterday to pick up a few items for the new mill. I was advised by the sales guy that the G0759 mills are starting to show up at the Missouri store. He also stated my machine would be first delivered to the PA store before it was shipped to me. I figure that is fair progress since I was told the mill is on backorder until May 23.

And so it goes...

Next chapter.... Today is May 23, so I expected to hear from Grizzly about the G0759 mill I ordered; no email or phone call but I checked the status of my order earlier today and the mill order went from 'backordered' to 'available'. Then this evening, I checked the status again and it was 'shipped' via UPS freight! The mill was not shipped from PA as the sales guy told me but it was shipped from the Missouri location per the UPS tracking link. Delivery is expected on May 30. Let's see what happens next...

Back