Pulled the trigger on a Grizzly G0759 Mill

I am planning to order this mill as soon as we get the "Mega Garage Sale" behind us (next Saturday), and make a little more room in the garage. I have a 9X20 Enco lathe, this mill will be an ideal addition.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and initial impressions on the G0759.

Next chapter.... Today is May 23, so I expected to hear from Grizzly about the G0759 mill I ordered; no email or phone call but I checked the status of my order earlier today and the mill order went from 'backordered' to 'available'. Then this evening, I checked the status again and it was 'shipped' via UPS freight! The mill was not shipped from PA as the sales guy told me but it was shipped from the Missouri location per the UPS tracking link. Delivery is expected on May 30. Let's see what happens next...

The mill was delivered to the local ups freight hub on May 30. Rather than opting for home delivery in several days, I decided to pick it up that day. I examined the 'packages' and found no damage so I signed for the freight and trucked it home. Grizzly does a nice job of packaging the mill, just had to bend a few metal tabs and whack the wooden panels with a hammer a few times. The next thing to do was to move the mill from my tailgate to the basement. The included base cabinet was no problem but the mill was another thing. Since this mill comes with the DRO, the glass scales are already installed with aluminum covers. Well, this limits the 'hold' points when trying to pick it up. Yes, it was too heavy for me and my accomplice so I called a few of my local younger fellas to give us a hand. It took 3 young studs to move it and by the time they got down the steps and to the stand they were really struggling. It's amazing how something that size can weigh so much.

The mill was placed into position on the supplied stand and bolted in place. Success so far! I was busy for the next few days so that's all I could do. I can tell you the mill does come with a three axis DRO and a built in DRO for the quill. The next step is to clean it up and check tolerances.......

The mill was delivered to the local ups freight hub on May 30. Rather than opting for home delivery in several days, I decided to pick it up that day. I examined the 'packages' and found no damage so I signed for the freight and trucked it home. Grizzly does a nice job of packaging the mill, just had to bend a few metal tabs and whack the wooden panels with a hammer a few times. The next thing to do was to move the mill from my tailgate to the basement. The included base cabinet was no problem but the mill was another thing. Since this mill comes with the DRO, the glass scales are already installed with aluminum covers. Well, this limits the 'hold' points when trying to pick it up. Yes, it was too heavy for me and my accomplice so I called a few of my local younger fellas to give us a hand. It took 3 young studs to move it and by the time they got down the steps and to the stand they were really struggling. It's amazing how something that size can weigh so much.
The mill was placed into position on the supplied stand and bolted in place. Success so far! I was busy for the next few days so that's all I could do. I can tell you the mill does come with a three axis DRO and a built in DRO for the quill. The next step is to clean it up and check tolerances.......

Is it worth the money to get the DRO version if the plan is to convert to CNC in the future?

First off, read this thread.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=21583

It hits on all the important points. How long will it be before you convert to cnc? The only real difference between the 2 models is the DRO. So it comes down to how much use you will get out of the DRO before you discard it.
Even on the G0704, it is amazing how much of the stock machine gets tossed when you convert to cnc. How will you feel throwing a $500 DRO on that pile? Sure you might be able to sell it or retask it on another machine. But there are already alot of G0704 and G0759 parts from the many cnc conversions always happening. So the spare parts pile on these machines tend to be really cheap.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Is it worth the money to get the DRO version if the plan is to convert to CNC in the future?

Yes! then you can give me a good deal on the dro when you convert to cnc :roflmao:

Yes! then you can give me a good deal on the dro when you convert to cnc :roflmao:

I use dials on my 1952 South Bend Lathe, so the DRO on a new mill is an upgrade for me. CNC setups are quite expensive for this guy plus I have no need to get into manufacturing... I'm doing this as a hobby and the DRO setup suits me just fine....

Here are a couple of pictures of my DRO conversion on a g0704 using Igaging. The x axis reads in the opposite direction and I can't flip it because the vice would interfere with the cable. What I did was let the y axis read in the opposite direction so when I see - I think +. Just another way to try and confuse an old guy, but it works for me.redhead 007.JPGredhead 008.JPG

redhead 007.JPG redhead 008.JPG

I have Igaging scales on mine. You defintly need to make sheilds for those scales.Thay don't like chips or coolant.

Back