Pulled the Trigger on a PM 45 CNC...

Thank you very much Ray.

I am currently using CamBam, a pretty good CAM program for the price but a bit limited in scope. By fudging you can create a sudo-3D tool path. On the other hand it's only $150, you get what you pay for.

I am looking for a true 3D CAM program for when I get my Z-axis conversion finished. I have been playing around with CAM360 by AutoDesk, but it is still in beta. AutoDesk did provide a post processor to my specs that works with my software, but I'm not married to them.

Good luck (intended sincerely). It's a tough decision. Suggest trying to find some quality time and individually get the demo versions of BobCAD, MecSoft etc and really give them a solid evaluation. I poked and prodded about 5 packages for 2-4 weeks each giving each a fighting chance and trying to overcome any prejudice I developed toward the first vs, second vs, third... package evaluated.

The top programs out there are all pretty good -most are getting their tool paths from the same "brain trust" that develops such things -no doubt, a small team of Ph.Ds and heavy-hitting programmers.

I found myself breaking it down into 1) CAD ability/likeability. 2) CAM job/workflow setup. 3) Strength of Simulator. 3) Price and maintenance fees.

In my book, BobCAD won in all categories but #1. -Nearly killed myself getting past the Auto-CAD-like CAD interface -but fortunately, you don't need to do much with it.

BTW: There are some second-tier CAM programs out there. -None are really geared for "machine shop" use and lean toward Hobby/Artistic/Woodworking purposes. -All fine and well but the weakness can be foreseen in 1-2 days of using the demo. I spoke to the author/owner of one of those packages and his advice to me was not to purchase his product as, it's strengths lied in areas opposite to my intended purposes.

... Understand the "pain" your going through now. Good luck...

Ray

Well... I pulled the trigger today on a PM 45 CNC mill. Wheew, that was a long hard decision to jump into CNC. It's not advertised but, it's available with 4th axis and since I'll only go around once in life, I decided to give myself the ability to screw things up in every dimension.

This will be interesting...

Anyhow, I've had a couple jobs now where someone wanted quantities of 5 on a milled item -and I can't keep saying no. I have another situation lined up where someone needs quantities of 50 and 100. -Not a a real complicated part but, I have no desire to manually make more than 2 or 3 of anything...

Ray

hey that's great, I wish I was cnc literate

Looks good Ray. CNC work is cool in itself.

I must say, I thought my shop was cramped. DAMN!!! Yours is tight.

Looks like a nice setup though.

Mike.

Looks good Ray. CNC work is cool in itself.

I must say, I thought my shop was cramped. DAMN!!! Yours is tight.

Looks like a nice setup though.

Mike.

Oh, heck, it's not cramped... It's "cozy".

Seriously though, the space is laid-out fairly well and since I work mainly on smaller parts, it's fine. The only time I have problems is while constructing something like a large welded structure. That's when things get cramped and messy. Truth be known, I'm doing much less of that kind of work -as per plan.

Ray

Re: Too funny! Pulled the Trigger on a PM 45 CNC...

This was my 1st choice on an import2US CNC Setup! This thing looks great! Someday we should try to setup a group buy$ with PM. He has this X45 clone and sub-system setup 'dialed in'. I like what they are doing there for sure. I ended up buying a used Shopmaster Patriot for 1/2 the price (w/ CNC, ballscrews, 4th axis, rot-chuck, blabla) and going w/ sweat equity to configure and dial it all in. But I'll have one of these next and give the Kid my "learner clunker".

115 posts.. Seems an Odd number- Up to 116 now! Some comments: Was ON THGE FLOOR ROLLING over some of the posts by Ray C! Hilarious Man! Write us a daily column pls! LOL. Hit it real hard w/ a hammer.... hahaha .

I have DolphonCam Mill Pro. Not too polished and its powerful, but So-so on the GUI. And I think you are right. Design in 3D is very rewarding. And to then simply simulate is about as good as it can get. No mounting fuss, no forgetting the head lock, no "opps - I dropped it on it's head" moments. I agree - someone sell a bag of "3d CAM simulated chips" for your 3d cam simulations setup. WE'll cut up silver craft paper :) Maybe a few blue ones for good measure too..... ;-0

a fun post to read thru! CGout Work'n time.

This was my 1st choice on an import2US CNC Setup! This thing looks great! Someday we should try to setup a group buy$ with PM. He has this X45 clone and sub-system setup 'dialed in'. I like what they are doing there for sure. I ended up buying a used Shopmaster Patriot for 1/2 the price (w/ CNC, ballscrews, 4th axis, rot-chuck, blabla) and going w/ sweat equity to configure and dial it all in. But I'll have one of these next and give the Kid my "learner clunker".

115 posts.. Seems an Odd number- Up to 116 now! Some comments: Was ON THGE FLOOR ROLLING over some of the posts by Ray C! Hilarious Man! Write us a daily column pls! LOL. Hit it real hard w/ a hammer.... hahaha .

I have DolphonCam Mill Pro. Not too polished and its powerful, but So-so on the GUI. And I think you are right. Design in 3D is very rewarding. And to then simply simulate is about as good as it can get. No mounting fuss, no forgetting the head lock, no "opps - I dropped it on it's head" moments. I agree - someone sell a bag of "3d CAM simulated chips" for your 3d cam simulations setup. WE'll cut up silver craft paper :) Maybe a few blue ones for good measure too..... ;-0

a fun post to read thru! CGout Work'n time.

The simulator is the weak link (in-jest)... It needs the following functions: 1) Must spray Koolmist in your face from the keyboard. I'm thinking of replacing the video camera lens on the laptop cover with a KookMist nozzle. 2) The PC doesn't shake or vibrate. Perhaps a large version of a cell phone vibrating mechanism will do. 3) No sound effects. It needs to make noises that engender satisfying cutting sounds to sphincter puckering, adrenaline moments. 4) PC needs modification so you can pretend to put raw stock in the simulator -kinda like a Barbie and Ken easy-bake oven.

... Anyhow, on a serious note. The machine continues to function well. No problems to report. I cranked-out a 125 part job in a couple weeks. Each part took 1 hour. Toward the end, I setup two vises and home locations with G54 and 55. I've got another job coming up for the Naval Academy that will be about 200- 400 pieces but, much simpler.

I have not heard much from my clients who own these -which is a very good sign. So far, all the issues with clients have been traced back to Mach 3 glitches and/or misunderstandings. I have one fellow who had a run-away jog situation but, it appears to be keystroke bug in Mach 3 combined with a glitch in his USB keyboard. It's definitely not the machine or controller though.

I still strive to do more complex parts; so much so, I'm now working on being a certified BobCAD instructor. I'm also an authorized BobCAD/CAM distributor as of a couple weeks ago. The info is on Matt's page as I'm keeping my commercial information separate from this forum.

Ray

PS: When running the simulator, it helps to throw a couple handfuls of chips around to help get into the groove.

The simulator is the weak link (in-jest)... It needs the following functions: 1) Must spray Koolmist in your face from the keyboard. I'm thinking of replacing the video camera lens on the laptop cover with a KookMist nozzle. 2) The PC doesn't shake or vibrate. Perhaps a large version of a cell phone vibrating mechanism will do. 3) No sound effects. It needs to make noises that engender satisfying cutting sounds to sphincter puckering, adrenaline moments. 4) PC needs modification so you can pretend to put raw stock in the simulator -kinda like a Barbie and Ken easy-bake oven.

I hope there will be a Linux version of this :roflmao:

BTW, I guess if I get a CNC machine my first code will be something using a 2H pencil in the collet, lowering the rubber end to type itself (in G-code) on a keyboard… recursive CNC!

Hi guys, I'm tying to set up the backlash compensation on my PM45CNC , but I can't see any effect from it . Actual backlash on X is only .001" , but even if I test it with inflated values there is no change from .001" . I've tried shuttle acceleration from .oo5 to 1.0 , still no difference. Enable is checked, I tried restarting Mach3 as the pop up instructs, even though most how to videos don't mention this. I saw someone on a different forum was also having issues with this, but it sounds like Ray must have it working...any help is appreciated. I'll post if I figure it out.

The famous hoss video on YouTube is a great tool. Shuttle speed is .005 on general congfig. I set the backlash speed to 80%. The docs note to keep under 100%. Just saw that yesterday.

What type of screws and returns are used in this mill? Do you know? Ground or wrapped?
Ray noted .0001 bl in x I think on his note? That is so small and I do not know if Mach can do anything in tens? Thou only I thought? Anyone?

Keep us posted. Jj.

Back