Pulley Duplication, The Show Must Go On......

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
Hello Again!
i have a customer in a panic
their Mettler Toledo 90* conveyor needed a pulley, so i decided to make one from scratch.
i made the pulley mainly because MT is in Ohio and also because right now is not fast enough for this fickle customer!

i first used my Shenwai SW900B lathe,
to turn down a 2.250" pulley blank from some 3"- 6061 aluminum rod that i had in stock.
i drilled the center hole out to 3/4", then bored the pulley out to .873" and created a .080"step for bearing retention.
i ground a 3/8" radius form turning tool to make a half round track
I used a R6-2RS bearing (.375"id x .875" od x .2812" wide), just like the factory assembly
-KQJifRupHOiIf7Qy4SUn_BnDPH8peYeNV0H_UNK-7aY6f2IJJcmITSQ3ADBph4ocpxBIx_5iw=w1034-h478-no.jpg

in the pictures, the right pulley's are the OEM, you can see the wear upon closer inspection especially in the last picture
2016-05-19.jpg
2016-05-19.jpg
the worn pulley (below right) would no longer track a long round transmission belt, so it had to go!
my pulleys' shoulder came out a bit thinner than the OEM, a mistake in plunge on my part.
i don't think it to be detrimental to the overall performance- sometimes right now is right!
every day is a new game in my industry! :bang head:
2016-05-19.jpg

thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:
Nice project, and really nice lathe to boot. Looks very stout and fully featured for its size. Even has the nice lever power feed selector!

Nice job on the pulley. Hopefully right now pays a little better than whenever.:) Mike

Well done I am sure you have a happy customer now.
Thank you very much, Thomas.
the customer is up and feedin' the masses.
the customer and i both want the same thing, a working piece of equipment!

Nice project, and really nice lathe to boot. Looks very stout and fully featured for its size. Even has the nice lever power feed selector!
thank you Andre, it was a fun project.
i love my Shenwai, it was a great buy for a very useful lathe. i'm very happy to have it!

Nice job on the pulley. Hopefully right now pays a little better than whenever.:) Mike
Thank you Mike!
i do a lot of my work under contract.
if i don't keep up with my end of the deal by keeping them working, they don't resign the next contract!
i'll bend over backwards to keep them chuggin' ;)

That Shenwai looks very much like my Jet 1336 PBD.
Steve Shannon
Hi Steve.
yes sir,
most of the Asian lathes are very similar, if not carbon copies of their kin.:)

Back