Pulley puller recommendation

HarryJM

Registered
Registered
Looking to buy a 2 and 3 jaw 8" reach puller so what are you recommendations?

OTC 1038 and if you are pulling V-belts pulleys get the OTC 679 V-belt attachment, the bearing splitters are also real handy. You can never have too many pullers! For much less money you can buy sets from Harbor Freight, you get what you pay for.

Snap-On, OTC tools ,Proto. MAC .Don't buy cheap, the cheap ones have poor jaws and arms. Spend the money for quality. Nothing worse that having a puller tight on sheave or pulley and it lets go flying any where., usually in the direction that can cause the most amount injury to the operator.

Mine are a mixture of Proto and OTC. The OTC stuff is practically indistructable, ditto for Proto, they could last for easily a couple of lifetimes. The OTC pullers and splitters combined with a Portopower could (nearly) move mountains.

Thanks for the info and I just purchased OTC 3 jaw 8 3/4" reach (needed at least 6") and have to remember about OCT and Proto tools for future purchases.

Last edited:
Too late but I like Posi-Lock pullers.

Yeah, so do I, along with an assortment of the other kinds. Posi-Locks beat them all.

When I was poor and needed a puller for a project I bought the HarborFreight set. I think I had an arm break on every one of the 3 different sizes... really cheap and weak castings. For a while I used a couple of arms I cut myself with the HF set. They were pretty ugly because I didn't have a mill at the time.

I now have my fathers Proto pullers. He worked the majority of his career at Proto/IgnasolRand then Proto/Stanley/NHT (National Hand Tools). I am blessed with a wealth of Proto tools.

Last edited:
Back