• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
[4]

Pump Oil Can Prints

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

lpeedin

I am in the process of building 4 of these for Christmas 2016 presents for my brothers in law. I am making a video series that will be on my YouTube channel when completed. The only deviation I'm making from the original plans is that I'm using aluminum with brass accents. I'm also taking some "creative liberties with the base. Here's a couple of pictures of my progress - remember to multiple everything by 4.
8bcd5a0b936a600cc0cf052bb299346b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

lpeedin

Can't decide which base I like the best so I have a thread going on the YouTube Machinist group on Facebook. Right now it's pretty much a tie.
View attachment 223623

intjonmiller

Can't decide which base I like the best so I have a thread going on the YouTube Machinist group on Facebook. Right now it's pretty much a tie.
895f1bdad864a99fee37e62684d19007.jpg

I like the smoother base myself, as it would clean up much easier. I just watched your YouTube video. I really like your style and now I feel the need to add this to my list of things to make. I like how, true to your channel name, you used AL since it was what you had on hand. :) But that has me thinking: I have about 20' of used copper pipe that I cut into roughly 6" segments for melting in my backyard metal furnace. Maybe I should make mine out of copper. :)

Attachments

lpeedin

I like the smoother base myself, as it would clean up much easier. I just watched your YouTube video. I really like your style and now I feel the need to add this to my list of things to make. I like how, true to your channel name, you used AL since it was what you had on hand. :) But that has me thinking: I have about 20' of used copper pipe that I cut into roughly 6" segments for melting in my backyard metal furnace. Maybe I should make mine out of copper. :)
I think copper would be a great choice. Thanks for the comments.

rwm

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hard to cast pure copper. It likes to be an alloy. Have you tried? If you want that look just make a really red brass, like 90-95% Cu.
R

intjonmiller

I'm planning on working through making aluminum bronze at some point, but I know that is challenging so I'm holding off until I have more experience in general. At this point, yes, I'm just doing brass. I have lots of yellow brass (spent rimfire and out-of-spec centerfire), and I plan to make the color richer with some extra copper. That and just making stock for the lathe and mill. I've only poured aluminum so far, but I'm stockpiling all the copper, brass, bronze, and lead I can get my hands on. :)

rwm

Active User
You might consider Silicon Bronze (Everdur.) You can make it or buy it. Easiest thing I have ever cast and is pretty red in color.
R

kvt

Active User
I also have a bunch of brass that I have collected, Some I have melted down into small ingots, I have done some alum also but that had a bunch of air bubbles in it, Thus unable to use it for much of anything. I figured I could do a few of the parts by making molds for them, But have to come up with the brass tubing for the body etc.
I was thinking the red brass for the top, and bottom at least, (actually though about making some brass ones for wife's cooking oil as well)
If I have to purchase everything I am thinking Stainless but I have not worked with it before.

garysue46

Iron
Registered Member

fwwbronco

Iron
Registered Member
It works great! No leaks at all! One of them loses prime after it sits for a few days and it takes a couple of pumps to get it going. I think if I polished the inlet valve seat that would correct this minor problem. Obviously the brass tarnishes so if you really want a nice one do it in stainless if you have the capability. May actually be cheaper than brass but the soldering is a pain.
R
don't solder, Tig weld it

rwm

Active User
don't solder, Tig weld it
I have a Miller TIG and that was my first plan. TIG welds are stronger but many end up not being water tight due to microscopic porosity. With braze/solder that is far less likely. Mine have not leaked a drop.
Robert

Wout Moerman

Iron
Registered Member
I would gladly convert prints to metric but I do not have the originals anymore. My hard drive had crashed since then and I lost a lot of my files. I would have also made sure all lines were bolder.
Sorry guys
I can change the lines from grey into black, which makes a usable print. If there is interest I can redo the set of plans this way and post them here as pdf.

Billh50

Active User
I only drew the prints and they were drawn in black then converted to pdf. At the time the converter I had must have made the lines lighter. You can ask the man who designed the oil can if you wish.

Wout Moerman

Iron
Registered Member
Bill, thanks for the reply. My mistake, I held you for the designer.

Robert, are you listening?

Attached is the first page. I like to hear whether this is a sufficient improvement or not. If not, I can try some tricks to increase the line width.

Attachments

rwm

Active User
I am listening!
I have not had any trouble reading any of the original pdf documents. The lines look fine for me. Could it be your pdf viewer or its settings? Your document looks great too. Thank you for posting.
Robert

Wout Moerman

Iron
Registered Member
Thanks! It might be the settings. But I know more people have trouble reading the prints. So they can benefit from this version. The drawing itself is not changed so the compliment should go to Bill for the drawing and to you, Robert for the design.

Last edited:

Wout Moerman

Iron
Registered Member
Here are the plans of Roberts pump oil can as drawn by Bill, but now with darker lines. I hope printing will result in clear and readable prints for everyone. Please let me know if it works (or not).

Next step for me, let's see if I can build one !

Attachments

werowance

Swarf
Registered Member
Thank you for the plans, I just finished mine. I love it more pressure than my real 66 has less trigger force required to achieve that pressure as well. fits the ball oilers on my lathe just perfectly.

thanks again for sharing those plans

Attachments

Silverbullet

Just as a note. You may notice some of the text in the lower blocks of the print border do not look right. That happened when I converted to pdf for some strange reason. But if there is anything not legible on any print let me know and I can get you the information needed.
Thanks Bill hope your feeling better. I'm getting things lined up back to the surgeon on the 21 of Sept. Then he,ll remove an old stimulator that's been dead for ten years. Mri then back to see what he can do . I'm praying for my fellow machinist in need.

Wesley

Swarf
Registered Member
Hi Robert

Thanks for the drawings. I’m new to the site and I think that this may be one of my first projects. I’m sure it will be a slow build for me but I’ll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again

Wes

Marcovitch

Iron
Registered Member
Hi Robert,
I'm from Switzerland.
Thanks a lot for the drawings.
A subscriber of my YouTube chanel asked me if I could make an oil Can. Having no idea how to do it, I looked on YouTube where I found the video of Mr. Halligan142 who gave the link of this very good forum where I registered. As the plans are in Inches, I took the initiative to make them in metric.
I hope this can help some of you.
Maybe some of you guys can use them.
Here are the links to download them on fusion.

http://a360.co/2iw48XX 3D view
http://a360.co/2zeIkKA General view and my source :encourage:
http://a360.co/2iwns7u The valve
http://a360.co/2iv3qdo The body
http://a360.co/2l9iXAX The top
http://a360.co/2Dd46wy The screws
http://a360.co/2DaiAgO The piston and nose
http://a360.co/2kUrZCF The bottom

I wish you all, health and happiness for the year 2018 to come.

Marco

Here are some videos I made during the production, only in French sorry guys!:frown:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs_0BuC9kb__nb8-M3lv4MMMtSwIEjvFq

Fichier 25.12.17 21 40 06.jpeg

rwm

Active User
Merci! Bon travail, ces't magnifique!

Thank you for referencing the source. It is very gratifying to see that people from all over the world have an interest in this. I'm sure the metric version will get a lot of use! I like your personal spin on it with knurled nuts. Very elegant. Is that stainless or aluminum?
As Werowance noted above these work great with ball oilers.

Robert

Last edited:

rwm

Active User
My wife uses the stainless version in the kitchen for cooking oil. She loves it. Just for fun here is the matching salt shaker for cooking:

1514403782223.png

1514474108512.png

Robert

Last edited:

fwwbronco

Iron
Registered Member
I also have a bunch of brass that I have collected, Some I have melted down into small ingots, I have done some alum also but that had a bunch of air bubbles in it, Thus unable to use it for much of anything. I figured I could do a few of the parts by making molds for them, But have to come up with the brass tubing for the body etc.
I was thinking the red brass for the top, and bottom at least, (actually though about making some brass ones for wife's cooking oil as well)
If I have to purchase everything I am thinking Stainless but I have not worked with it before.
I think you should use stainless in the kitchen. Also, the reason you have air bubbles in you alum is that it needs a top cover of lite salt when you melt it to keep the alum from oxidizing. make sure it is lite salt, don't remember why but regular salt will not work.

[6]
[5] [7]