Pump question... bringing Harig 612 on line

Clock work

Registered
Registered
Greetings,

Going thru a new to me Harig 612 and starting with the lubrication system. I don't believe this pump is stock Harig and am curious if anyone knows anything about this particular pump. No markings on it. Thank you for anything you might be able to share for this.

CW

20181231_001803.jpg

20181231_001736.jpg

20181231_001811.jpg

The white X shaped plastic cover looks original and so must the pump. The manifold looks shop made but that shouldn't be a problem. The original pump was non functional on my machine, so I replaced it with a small submersible water pump. Works just fine with the thin oil sus 150-225.
IMG_0050.JPG

Looks very similar to a parts washer pump. Mike

Thanks Mike.. great suggestion I would not have come up with on my own. Some pondering on this since reading your reply leads me to believe that is quite likely since the pump body is all plastic and that metal block hanging off the side is possibly a shop-made 2-port distribution box. I'm leaning toward just throwing a new and known-suitable unit in there while I'm at this torn-down and not-yet-painted stage.. Extrapolating from someone who swapped in a Bijur gear pump on I believe this site, the requirements are continuous duty low-volume 40-ish psi and able to swallow oil, and ov course, fits in the hole. And, cheap NE farmer stock that I'm from... WAY cheaper. I'll likely add some sort of easily pulled/cleaned snorkel filter too if my motivation goes up enough.

The white X shaped plastic cover looks original and so must the pump. The manifold looks shop made but that shouldn't be a problem. The original pump was non functional on my machine, so I replaced it with a small submersible water pump. Works just fine with the thin oil sus 150-225.
View attachment 283729

Thank you Alexander... that does seem similarly shaped.. was that photo what was in your grinder when you got it or was it what you moved to? No labels or notes on mine. And (bragging) mine is that sweet yellow color. I'm still going to swap it out and move toward a "known"... good datapoint that your water pump gives a proper flow. Thank you.

CW

The green pump was the factory original. What i did was go to the hardware and garden store and found the most similar sized fountain 120v pump. The pressure of a gear pump is unnecessary as the hight of the machine dictates the pressure for the lower ways. The flow is sufficient with the fountain pump as in under a minute, oil reaches the top sight glass.

The green pump was the factory original. What i did was go to the hardware and garden store and found the most similar sized fountain 120v pump. The pressure of a gear pump is unnecessary as the hight of the machine dictates the pressure for the lower ways. The flow is sufficient with the fountain pump as in under a minute, oil reaches the top sight glass.

Thank you again Alexander. Appreciate hearing your reasoning in determining that your approach was suitable. I'd have starved to death if most engineers worked that way (design "fixer"). If that was indeed good enough for Harig, then "a guy with a brain" would just stuff it back in and get to painting it, but... sadly... no such personnel are on-station in my whop. The mantra here is: never fail to over think the most trivial, with the associated advantage of that providing an excuse to not actually do anything. So, in the interim, the idea to use an in-line fuel pump (cheaper than a Bijur, or a latte, compact leaving room for a filter, and engineered for petroleum) seemed like a possibility as well.. perhaps with even repurposing the manifold from the pump in there now. I liked that comment that the column height drives the design pressure which I suppose is why the valve is on the path to the ways, to balance the flow. So.. thank you again.

Back