Pump shotgun barrels to a semi auto...

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
I do a lot of these shotgun barrels for my dad. The semi auto's need a hole or two drilled inside the barrel ring and of course its on an angle. The pump shotgun barrels will work with the hole(s) added. He was using a guy in Akron but he quit doing them on his mill because the setup was to hard or he broke too many drill bits. Well i set them up on my lathe with my cross slide hole driller and a cheap pawn shop drill and i haven't broke a bit yet. Its prob 10 minutes from start to finish. I use a center drill to spot where the hole goes then switch to a regular drill bit. I have some pics of a barrel with 2 holes but i don't have it on my computer....Bob

projects 021.jpg projects 022.jpg projects 023.jpg projects 025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob, that is an awesome use of your tool! Very cool idea on the barrel conversion too.

I had a thought for a tool you might patent for the DIY guys. ::)

What if you designed an arbor that slipped into the barrel ring with a through hole that is pre-drilled at the correct angle for the gas port?
It could be hardened or employ a drill bushing so that a DIY'er could then drill the gas port with a hand drill.
The arbor would have a locating lug on it that mates with the barrel O.D. to put the drill bushing on center of the bore.
Imagine an inverted barrel bushing from a 1911 pistol if you will.....

I bet Brownells would sell a million of them! 8)

(Sorry, just thinking out loud...)

Great idea. I started one last week when i had to drill thru some guys botched attemp of drilling these barrels. But i am way to busy to make many of them so someone else is going to have to jump on them LOL...Bob

Nah. That's why I said to get the patent for one. Let somebody else make 'em and you just collect the royalties! ;D

author=Highpower link=topic=1668.msg10787#msg10787 date=1303057857
Nah. That's why I said to get the patent for one. Let somebody else make 'em and you just collect the royalties! ;D

The last patent i looked into was over $10,000.00 bucks. Unless you know a good lawyer N E L S O N we need you LOL...Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back