Punch Press: Recommendations?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm getting tired of running to town to pick up washers and shims.
When I do I need to sort the the bin trying to find parts that fit my needs. As the tolerances are sloppy.
I've got a bin of punches and dies, and 2 two post die sets that I don't know how to use. And no die press.
I've been sifting through various bits of info I've gleaned.
I think I'm ideally looking for a small lever operated one.
Regardless, I stumbled on this and thought it might be interesting to post.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
That is a man who has spent some time on a machine, it all rings true.

Sorry, I can't remember any names but those small lever operated ones are just right for what you want to do. My dad had a bunch and would set them up for small at home batch jobs. Easy to set up and run even for a kid.

Good luck finding one or two. Once you have one set up you'll find need for a few more

What you might need is one of those small benchtop punch presses that plugs to a regular household wall plug,they do come up once in awhile on ebay,they have a very small capacity like making holes in leather belts or punching washers like you want to do or for forming pills(pharmaceutical). another options the modern version of these presses that are pneumatic.I must admit ,it'll be a lot of fun to use either type

ipunch_press.jpg cheap-JULY-made-best-thermal-small-automatic.jpg

What you might need is one of those small benchtop punch presses that plugs to a regular household wall plug,... iView attachment 226841 View attachment 226839

Yes, I've considered one of those. I've seen some that are less expensive than the foot or hand lever types. However, in addition to Gutheries song, I've heard they can be finger biters. Perhaps that's primarily in production and everything that goes with it.
I certainly haven't ruled it out.
I've got a message in to Roper Whitney with an attempt to identify which press the many punches and dies I already have might fit.
I've also thought about making one. I've done sillier things.

Daryl
MN

@Uglydog
Daryl, first, I just gotta say the I enjoy your posts.
From book recommendations to songs about factory work I appreciate your take on this life.

My local place has a Di-Acro turret punch similar to this:
http://vanderzielmachinery.com/punches/8470-di-acro-no-18-turret-punch.html

Which is very tempting until I see the $1200 price tag.......

-brino

Brino,
Thanks for the compliment.
When one looks at the price of individual dies and the fact that this one is coming fully stocked. This isn't a bad value.
Would save all kinds of time in set ups. On the other hand, I'm also thinking about how often I will use her.
Hmmm, one with enough tonnage means that I'd never have to run to the hardware store again for washers and shims.
Also, it would be a reason to save every very small scrap of leftover metal.
This gets more tempting all the time!!!
Just think of the things I'd have a reason to collect.......................

Daryl
MN

I've heard they can be finger biters. Perhaps that's primarily in production and everything that goes with it.

If you get a punch press, remember a turning flywheel is a loaded gun with a hair trigger. Before sticking your fingers even close to the works, the machine needs to be disconnected from power and the flywheel stopped. I had to dig a production supervisor out of a punch press about that size one time. He didn't follow the safety rules when trying to make an adjustment. Not fun.

Back