Purchasing lathe chuck jaws for a Cushman chuck

todd281

Registered
Registered
I have a Cushman 3 jaw, 9 inch chuck, on my Sheldon lathe that the jaws are non-reversable . The only Numbers I see on it are 8B4903. How does one go about getting a set of jaws? The ones I have are such that when trying to turn close to the chuck one risks crashing into it with the post or the compound. Is it a better solution to just shop for another 3 jaw?

Perhaps it is an extreme statement, but it almost seems like there were never two chucks alike made and the chances of finding jaws to fit your chuck are close to slim and none; best cure is to buy an new chuck that suits your expectations/needs, hopefully, not made of Chineseium.

Make them. Harold hall presents a procedure for making them with conventional equipment. The scroll teeth in behind are really not very fussy - they simply need to be evenly spaced. I had a similar issue on an old mill table chuck (basically a foot mounted lathe chuck) - it had only the reverse side one piece jaws. It took some figuring, but I made two sets of jaws, and made them both 2 piece jaws. I have a CNC mill, so once I had the method figured out, there was no holding back. With using a CNC it is straightforward to call out a little piece of a face spiral - and shift it by P/3 for the next jaw, and the same again for the 3rd one.

As Ben (above) pointed out - no two chucks seem to use jaws that are the same. The chuck I was working on is a 12"-3J, I found dimensions for several 12" - 3J chucks, all were quite a bit different than the one I was working on. Making jaws seemed very intimidatingly - until I tried it. It really wasn't difficult.

Thanks for the replies. I will search out another chuck. I do not have the machinery or expertise to fab a set on my own, maybe someday.

I think you're taking the least frustrating course by purchasing a new chuck. I have an older Union chuck that is missing one set of jaws. The chuck itself is in like new condition, but was missing one set when i purchased it. I have looked for a replacement set for over 20 years with no tangible results. I have found a few sets that are close, but still no cigar. I still keep my eyes open when visiting used equipment dealers, but over the years I've searched through thousands of possibilities with no real success.

Could you post a picture, I can't quite see how the tool post or compound would interfere with the jaws. How do you have them positioned?

What size lathe do you have? Your description sounds like the chuck is almost too large for your lathe.
Chuck

Sounds like he only has outside jaws, that would explain it.

Here is a picture , I have changed the tool post to a QCTP but it has the same problem. As you can see, the jaws, because they are set to clamp external on larger projects , they do not allow the toolpost to get next to the internal jaw feet. Thus the bit is can never get right next to the support of the jaws unless there is allot of overhang on the tool. If the jaws are extended beyond the outer radius of the chuck , then Its possible for them to contact the compound. [sorry about the blurry picture]

Attachments

• lathe1.jpg
    lathe1.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 17
Back