Purchasing lathe chuck jaws for a Cushman chuck

A work around, for now is that you can use a boring bar to reach in (less stick out of the part but more stick out of the tool). Of course if you only have a conventional boring bar (cuts toward the headstock when inside a bore), then you would need to run the lathe in reverse with the tool on the far side of the part to cut the OD. You could also make or buy and boring bar that cuts on the near OD when turning forward.

Still not a great arrangement - if you have a brain fade and clear the tool, then it will be right into those jaws. Of course a brain fade while machining is generally not good.

I bought a set of inside jaws for my 6" Cushman of a guy called Larry Vanice (L Vance) on PM for very reasonable money (less than even a cheap import), so that would be worth a shot. Keep an eye on eBay too. The critical dimensions are scroll pitch (teeth per inch), slot width and jaw width. All the other dimensions are not as important.

Now if anyone needs a set of jaws for a Skinner 4 jaw, I have a deal for you!

I bought a set of inside jaws for my 6" Cushman of a guy called Larry Vanice (L Vance) on PM for very reasonable money (less than even a cheap import), so that would be worth a shot. Keep an eye on eBay too. The critical dimensions are scroll pitch (teeth per inch), slot width and jaw width. All the other dimensions are not as important.

Now if anyone needs a set of jaws for a Skinner 4 jaw, I have a deal for you!
My skinner 4 jaw has hardly been used, jaws are like new.........

I am a bit leery of cutting in reverse because this has a 2-1/4 threaded backplate. I know it can ,and is done but always in the back of my mind is the chuck unscrewing . I do not want to be witness to that. Like I said I think I will keep my eyes peeled for another chuck. Thanks again for all the replies

I have a Cushman 3 jaw, 9 inch chuck, on my Sheldon lathe that the jaws are non-reversable . The only Numbers I see on it are 8B4903. How does one go about getting a set of jaws? The ones I have are such that when trying to turn close to the chuck one risks crashing into it with the post or the compound. Is it a better solution to just shop for another 3 jaw?
You might try web site ( us shop tools ) and go to their search chuck jaws.
worth a try .

Back