[4]

Put a ding in my mill table

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Jake2465

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Well, I finally did it... After almost three years of owning my mill I managed to drop a tool holder with a drill bit in it on the table. It put a pretty little ding there the size of a center punch hole... I shuffled over to my tool box and got out my stone and WD40...

Cooter Brown

Pictures or it didn't happen :cool:

Jake2465

Ima cover it up with the vice so no one sees it. :grin:

fradish

Registered
Actually as Cooter said, just don’t take a picture of it and it didn’t happen! I have to remember that trick!

Jake2465

Now every time I look at my mill table, I will see that ding and it will remind me of that treacherous #7 drill bit.

tjb

Terry
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Now it's officially a piece of equipment instead of furniture. Congratulations.

Regards,
Terry

BtoVin83

Registered
Run a end mill into the table and you wont focus on that ding anymore

Jake2465

Run a end mill into the table and you wont focus on that ding anymore
That's kind of like when Major Payne broke that guys finger so he wouldn't think about his arm that got shot.

"Want me show you a little trick to get your mind off that ding? Here, gimme your end mill.. Now you may feel just a little bit of pressure."

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Where is the picture?
I have a table that looks like the moon

Jake2465

Ill put up a picture some time this week. It was pretty much a virgin mill table before the ding. Perhaps I should put on on the other side to even it up.

TerryH

I have no clue what I'm doing...

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
After almost three years of owning my mill I managed to drop a tool holder with a drill bit in it on the table. It put a pretty little ding there the size of a center punch hole.
How did you manage to keep it ding free for 3 years, I'm impressed.

MikeWi

Active User
Registered
I'm really disappointed at the lack of sympathy our fellow members here have shown you for your loss. I completely understand that this mill has lost all value to you and that you wish for nothing more than to be rid of it ASAP. I feel your pain and will humbly accept the mill from you so that you may move on with your life and start anew with newer, brighter hardware unblemished by a hard life in the shop.

No, don't thank me, it's the least I can do. Ok, if you really must show your gratitude, you can pay for the shipping too. :)

Winegrower

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
You could mill out the ding. :)

Bob Korves

Use an A/C arc welder with a 1/4" rod to weld up your ding. No one will ever notice the repair... :eek 2:

P. Waller

That is the most tragic story that I have ever heard, you will have to buy a new machine.

bhigdog

Registered
Yes, I feel your pain. After 4 years of owning my mill I got some chips on it. Fearing I might scratch the table by using a brush I attempted to pick them off with tweezers. All was going well until, as I bent over to inspect what I feared was a scratch, my Great Dane stuck his cold nose in my butt crack causing me to hit the start button. The spindle grabbed the rag I was using to buff the chuck. This frightened the dog who knocked over the ladder I was using to wax the top of the mill. The falling ladder hit the Z down feed causing it to drill through the table.
My wife hearing the commotion rushed in and attempted to shut the mill off but instead hit the x feed start. The vise ran into the chuck and now it kind of wobbles.
I just wish I hadn't been so obsessive..............Bob

P. Waller

Many years ago I once left a chocolate cupcake on a new mill table to answer the phone, after having agreed to accept $29,000,000 from a Nigerian Prince I returned to the machine and found a stain on the table which is clearly unacceptable, I bought a new one. Another cupcake.

By far the best way to keep a machine looking new at all times is to buy two of them, one to actually use and one to admire.
This strategy never fails.

silence dogood

Active User
There are three ways to handle a piece of equipment. 1) Abuse: check out on utube what these morons did to a car by changing the oil with wd40 (and it was not just the wd40). 2) Unuse: 30 years ago I had to repair a beautiful electronic organ with full keyboards and pedalboard. It had not been played for over 10 years. It took me hours to get that thing to play properly because inside was full of dust, corrosion, what ever. 3) Use: I don't mind paint chips, scratches, stains because it means that the machine is being used and used for what it was meant to be used for.

pontiac428

The first one always hurts the most...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

derf

Brass
Registered
Battle scars give it character....

FOMOGO

Active User
This is just a horrible way to have to live. To constantly have to worry about the appearance of ones machines, and to know that at any second I could disfigure one of my loved ones for life! (Sighs dramatically) I fear I must sell them all, and take up Salsa dancing. Cheers, Mike

Bob Korves

Probably the best thing to do with a new machine is to just get a carbide scribe and put a big scratch right down the table, flat way. or other easily seen shiny part. Stone the high points of the scratch off, and then get to work, a bit less fussy about it... I hate to buy new machines. Nice ones, yes, but with somebody else's marks on it already. Those few scratches save thousand$.

Tim9

Kind of reminds me of people.... Or so called friends who won't let you use their pick-up truck to move something because they are afraid of scratching the bed.
It's a tool for Heaven's sake. Not a piece of furniture.

pdentrem

Active User
Registered
About 95+% of the pickup trucks will only carry a case of beer at the most! Congratulations on your first ding! May it be a good sign for the future dings!

BtoVin83

Registered
When I worked for my dad we bought a new Mazak, blocked 24" lathe and 30 Hp. I ran that thing hard and my dad voiced his concerns. I told when we wear out this one we "ll get another. That Mazak moved a lot of iron and made a lot of money for the old guy.

Buffalo21

Kind of reminds me of people.... Or so called friends who won't let you use their pick-up truck to move something because they are afraid of scratching the bed.

I started up a new 400 hp boiler in a battery factory, the boiler was 8’ wide x 38’ long x 9’ high, it came shrink wrapped on a truck form Michigan, to upstate Vermont. The put into the building, by riggers, the installed by the contractor. There were ladders against the unit, people walking on top of it and chains and straps dragged against it. About half way through the start up as I’m setting the combustion, the female plant manager, was obsessed with a scratch on the side of the boiler, to the point where she, actually tried to stop the start up to, demand what I was going to do about that scratch. When I told her nothing she exploded, demanding I look at the scratch and call the factory and get a new unit sent out to replace it. At this point I’d had enough and turned looked her and said “ Lady its a f*#king boiler, not a f*#king Buick”, a look of horror came across her face and I never saw her again. She called my office and told my boss, who told her, yep that’s Jack, leave him alone or we will pull off the job and the building can f*#king freeze. The start up progressed smoothly after that.

Last edited:

eugene13

Registered
Battle scars give it character....
My shop cat lost part of one ear somehow, I still keep her around, enjoy your hobby and don't sweat the small stuff, that machine will probably outlast you.

derf

Brass
Registered
I remember a few decades ago when I worked in a mom & pop job shop, the owner (the old man as we called him) was very OCD and a real jackass. He looked upon his machines like they were classic cars or something. Anyway, there was a young apprentice who worked there that had about 3 months left on his apprenticeship. He was a very conscience worker that gave up a better paying job to get into this apprenticeship, as there were hard to get at the time. Chuck was a meek, mild mannered guy and kinda religious and really put his heart into everything he done.
He came to the break area one day, acting very out of character, fidgety and nervous, looking a little pale. I knew something was a miss, so when the other guys left the break table, I asked him what was wrong. He looked over his shoulder to make sure no one else was in hearing distance, then he told me. "I was drilling some holes in a set-up plate, and I accidentally drilled into the mill table. If the old man finds out, they'll carry me out in a body bag".
I could see why he was so nervous, the old man was very intimidating, and he not only feared for his job, but getting his journeyman's card as well.
I could see that the guilt was eating him up from the inside, so I offered to help him if I could. I strolled over by the mill and casually looked at the table without drawing too much attention to myself. On the pristine table top there was an 1/8" hole, about 1/4" deep, that just happened to be centered between the T slots. It was to the right side of the table, far enough out that a vise would not cover it.
As he told me, he was drilling a series of holes and broke a bit. He replaced the bit, but forgot to re-set the quill stop.
I came back to his work bench to see the fear in his eyes, and said "Relax......I got this".
I finished my lunch early, and went back and run a 6-32 tap in the hole, added a set screw, then stamped O-I-L around the screw.
The old man never caught on......:cool:

silence dogood

Active User
July 20 is the Ugly Truck Contest. day. I once had a truck that the engine finally blew. The truck was so ugly that the only way that the wrecker would take it to the junk yard was that I covered it in a paper bag.

[6]
[5] [7]