Put a guard on it.

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
well I was making a metal off cut rack, just pvc tubes held in a wooden frame, to go against the wall behind the mill. Cut out everything, then was sanding the discs from the holes, to provide support on the bottom. I dropped the disc and went to reach for it.. I hit my hand up on the sanding disc (oh I was using the belt) there's no guard on it, and it cut the back of my fingers like a tablesaw. Pretty sure I went close to the bone as there's not a lot of meat there. A bloody mess. Two fingers really mangled.
Now I have to build a guard to avoid that in the future. For now.. finishing up the rack (I'm too stupid to stop and rest). My team is taking a beating... so it's not fun to watch... If you don't think you need a guard, think again. Now I have to think about my metal lathe which has no guard on the belts. Still thinking I don't need them, but I didn't think I needed them on the sander.

Always seems to be the quick reaching in to grab something (without shutting off the power) that gets you, happened to David B. too
Mark S.

Jeff, you'll heal soon with just a couple of battle scars, it's good to know you're going to put the guard back on or build a better one. I put my chuck guard back on my lathe just a couple of days ago.

Be careful everyone. Our shops are fun, but very dangerous. It take just a split second and you can't do-over.

Thanks for the reminder Jeff.

Jeff, you'll heal soon with just a couple of battle scars, it's good to know you're going to put the guard back on or build a better one. I put my chuck guard back on my lathe just a couple of days ago.

I don't think this unit ever had a guard, it appears to be about 50-60 vintage. And I will make one. For now, I took off the disc.. I only use it for occasionally.

You know I just did something similar with a portable 4" cut off saw / sander. Cleaning out some edges on sqaure tubing after cutting - got a little ahead of myself and put my fingers (gripping) where the disc was supposed to go.

All I said was FOCUS man FOCUS!!

I'm sure most of us have done something stupid at one time or another. Some paid the price - some are more lucky.

Stay FOCUSED people.

I've had them jam and kick back slicing me , my jeans and gloves. Even with guards things happen I never run mine with no guards. And I still have been cut up and ground off. Things happen , it sucks but it's part of working . The one tool that's paid for itself a thousand times over has been my hand held MAKITA 4" + Hitachi 4 1/2 " grinders , from sharpening hundreds of tools MOWER blades hedge clippers farming tools even shovels . So I've used them for thirty years grinding welds cutting steel , they're my most used items. Cuts gouges and burned by grinding. YUPP ill still go using them with guards . Heal up woodchucker but be safe

I'm healing , this morning I had some REDNESS and infection showed up, so I had to go back to the antibiotic gels.. The deep one is a killer. After a week I wouldn't think it would still hurt this much. Touching it is painful..

I used to pour a few drops of peroxide on the wound before dressing it, it would dissolve the pus , not saying you should do the same but it helped me .
Did you go back to the shop and work while your wound still not completely healed?

I used to pour a few drops of peroxide on the wound before dressing it, it would dissolve the pus , not saying you should do the same but it helped me .
Did you go back to the shop and work while your wound still not completely healed?

Of course I did. I was trying to cleanup months of work down there. I want to be able to get a good start on the next set of projects this winter. I have to finish a WW project, and then I am going to finish reworking the welded up taper attachment.

I used to use peroxide, but my doctor asked me to stop. He said it kills good stuff too. He told me to get betadine ... I was going to until I saw the price. Now I wish I had. I always think about it after an incident, then lose the desire. I do have peroxide and would use it if I thought I needed to get really clean. In the case of the last incident, soap and water.

It is important thought to be prepared, bandages, ointments, yes I have peroxide

Back