Put a serpentine belt on the Logan

mrbreezeet1

Active User
Registered
I got sick of this lathe always throwing the belt if you tried to make a bit of a heavy(er) cut.
I got a belt at wheeling rubber, with the clip in it, no better than my old belt.
Always slipping if you try to take a decent cut. Actually throwing the belt off.

I see Logan sells one that is some kind of rubber, endless loop, the other one, I don't know, I thought it was the same material I got at wheeling rubber.
Everyone raves about the serpentine belt, so I thought I'd try it.
Some are even lacing or gluing the serp. belt.
I got it all back together. I had just got back from the parts store, was going to stop for the night, but I went back down.
Had a little trouble with the jack shaft, ended up taking it off, so I could work on it on the bench.
I did not try to cut any metal yet, just ran it a little.
Pulling the spindle was not all that bad.
I didn't know if I wanted to possibly open a can of worms.
But it went pretty well.
I will have to put my other gears back on, it's still set up[ for 24 TPI, too fast to cut I think.
When I made this bearing retainer nut for the Delta sander.

quote.gif

DSCF0679.JPG DSCF0678 Save.JPG

quote.gif

quote.gif

Nice job on the retainer nut!

I have a serpentine belt on my Logan 210, and it works great. I do miss the tick - tick - tick of the metal lace, but that's okay I guess.

someone on another group said my belt was getting thrown because it was loose or mis aligned.
I don't know. I thought it was just the belt.
Cause it would not throw it till I took a heavy(er) cut.
Oh well, the serp belt is on there now, and not giving me trouble.
The old belt was getting thrown off with .015 DOC (.030 off diameter)
Now I can take .030 DOC (.060 off diameter no problem)

I am trying to run the serp belt as loose as I can.
I had to tighten it a little, if I tighten too much, I get a slight knocking noise from the counter shaft.
I was getting a resonance/noise/ from the motor and/or V to Flat belt, but loosening the belt a bit stopped it.
It chrips a bit on start up now, I will have to keep an eye/ear on it.
all and all I am happy with the new belt.

Back