Putting the final finish on the workbench - finally..

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Finally was able to get back to the workbench this weekend. Started Thursday night. Nothing fancy, just some polyurethane semi-gloss.
Coats 1-3 were quickies with a quick sand in between, 4&5 were wet sand 400. Final coat went on at midnight last night.
I closed up the shop turned off all the fans around 7pm in an attempt to let the dust settle.
Went on beautifully, no problems. Went to bed thinking "Wow finally got it finished..." < WRONG.

Here's what I found this morning:

P1050986r.jpg

Poor sucker must have landed as I closed the door and left. He/She sloshed around quite a bit before expiring. Coat #6 coming up tomorrow.

P1050985r.jpg

P1050986r.jpg P1050985r.jpg

That sucks! Looks like it was a slow and painful end for the little bugger, he sort of dissolved,

Thanks! It was an assembly bench in it's previous life at a Panasonic factory up in Kentucky. It had been sitting in
a back garage for years. It was covered with carpet that was put on with adhesive.
That stuff did not want to come off the wood, mineral spirits would kinda cut it, but mostly it was a heat gun and
a scrapper. I made the mistake of trying the belt sander on it, turned the adhesive back into glue and smeared it.
It was delaminated is a few places and it took a couple of months of clamping to get it closed up.
Once again I neglected to take picts from start to finish.

_Dan

Finally! One project finished. Ended with more of a matte finish than semi-gloss but that's the breaks.
Had a bunch of pimple marks last two coats that I ended up using 0000 steel wool on to buff out. Maybe I shouldn't have used 'Fast-Drying' Poly...
Buffing it withe the 0000 seemed to take out quite a bit of that 'honey' color of polyurethane, which I don't mind one bit.
All told she's got (6) coats.
P1060053.JPG

P1060053.JPG

Not sure what you will do on it, but round here it would get the shine knocked off it in short order anyways. Looks good to me

Not sure what you will do on it, but round here it would get the shine knocked off it in short order anyways. Looks good to me
Well, yeah, there's that. But for now we can enjoy the luster and the gleam for tomorrow I'll probably be rebuilding the leaf springs for the jeep on it.
I may lay down some cardboard first though. :biggrin:

*Edit*
Just took Honey out to the workshop to see the results - She wants it in the house now... :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Sez it's too pretty to be in the shop.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, there's that. But for now we can enjoy the luster and the gleam for tomorrow I'll probably be rebuilding the leaf springs for the jeep on it.I may lay down some cardboard first though. :biggrin:*Edit*Just took Honey out to the workshop to see the results - She wants it in the house now... :rofl::rofl::rofl:Sez it's too pretty to be in the shop.
been there done that, usualy a couple of weeks till i am forgiven for not letting her have it.

Yeah them leaf springs will definitely take away some of that pretty luster, guaranteed. After that it wont really matter because it is already scratched up....Darnit. But my wife would be like build me something like that but with a sink and cabinets here and, and, and ad nauseum. Needless to say she is outta luck because I don't do inside the house quality finishing work. I always leave raw edges exposed and junk like that because Mitering a 4X8 panel aint happenin anywhere near my METAL shop... That table does look great right now though and I would be proud to have it scratched or not!!! Great work.

Bob

Back