Puzzled young apprentice

Giles

Registered
Registered
Back many years ago when I was a Journeyman Tool&Die Maker , a young apprentice sheepishly walked over to me and asked what the fraction .378/.375 meant.
Knowing what the fraction meant, I jokingly told him it would be 1.008--a little over an inch.
He said "well I killed it !"
I then walked over to where he was working and explained that the dimension had to be .375- .376- .377 or .378. No greater or smaller.
He was very relieved.

Apprenticeships are a wonderful place to learn/be taught. It's usually experience as opposed to book learning. My "journeyman" had been trained in Germany, four years in the shop. four years on the road, six months at a time in eight different machine trades. He encouraged me to make mistakes so as to learn from them. Well, not in so many words.

Yes, lots of knowledge is learned in shop work, that is not taught!
About the same time, I was having an end mill chattering problem. I was using a reground 2" end mill cutting a die pocket.
Old Boss told me to try a new end mill since all gibes were tight.
I had the same problem.
This wise old man dulled the end mill slightly with sandpaper and all chatter was removed!
Who would have thought of that?

And I had a new kid last week, that didn’t know how a standard pipe wrench worked, he won’t last long

Buffalo21, Perhaps no one has ever shown him anything practical in his life? There are a lot of the,(not just),millennials who have been raised without any exposure to things that most of us take for granted. really simple things like what a hammer is and how to use it are all new to them. One of the major problems is not confusing them by overload. After explaining what a hammer is don't then start explaining all the varieties and uses.
Simple steps for this crop.

Many years ago when I was at a technical high school we were given rough hexagon blocks of steel aprox. 1” x 2” which we had to file square on all flats. After filing it to my satisfaction the teacher then comes and checks it and rejects it after inspection. Complaining to the teacher that my arms were sore from filing he suggested that I go to the storeroom and ask for some elbow grease. Being ignorant I went to the store and asked the storekeeper for some elbow grease as the the teacher said you keep it in the store. He invited me in and pointed to the bottom rack and said that’s where he keeps it,as I bent down to look for this grease he whacked me on the backside. By then I caught on what was happening as the teacher was killing himself laughing at me. I must say that I can file very accurately after that. .... hahaha

Guv, I never fell for that one but nearly got caught by being sent to stores for a left hand metric monkey wrench on my first day. Another time I was sent early one morning to one of our suppliers for a long weight,(we were rehanging some big doors at the time), I arrived back just in time to knock off and the foreman was livid, I just told him I'd been sent out for a long wait. Nobody knew I'd spent the day sunbathing ang watching pretty girls in a park all day.
Didn't help that I had the shop hack as well.

Quote....
And I had a new kid last week, that didn’t know how a standard pipe wrench worked, he won’t last long

I bet he came from a country that only had Metric ones... ha ha....

Back