PVC shortage

Interesting.

Just read about a furniture maker having trouble finding colored polyethylene to make Adirondack chairs. Shortage traced to wither storms in Texas which "disrupted production of many such petroleum-derived products".

I wonder how we're going to buy our Adirondack chairs 30 years from now when we're completely weened off oil and natural gas.:love:

Someone should invent a wooden Adirondack chair!

When I worked for Unilever , all our scrap detergent bottles were donated to the National Park system and made into plastic picnic tables etc . If you ever check out Old Faithful , you'll be sitting on our tables . :grin:

When I worked for Unilever , all our scrap detergent were donated to the National Park system and made into plastic picnic tables etc . If you ever check out Old Faithful , you'll be sitting on our tables . :grin:
Detergent, or the bottles? With how they pumped out the product, I'm surprised there was anything not packaged and shipped.

Detergent, or the bottles? With how they pumped out the product, I'm surprised there was anything not packaged and shipped.
Thanks for picking that up , and I did edit it . All bottles were recycled into the National Park System . We received yearly calendars with pics of the parks . There just seems like these little company perks exist any longer , no parties , no softball teams , no United Way days etc . No comradity .

Thanks for picking that up , and I did edit it . All bottles were recycled into the National Park System . We received yearly calendars with pics of the parks . There just seems like these little company perks exist any longer , no parties , no softball teams , no United Way days etc . No comradity .
Boy that is for sure. After I left the military, I started with a big trucking company. A year or so later. the owner/ founder retired, and numbers folks took over. Within a few years, it was not the same. turnover had gone crazy, and workers were afraid to talk to anyone. Christmas, spring, fall, parties/ picnics were gone, bonuses were ended, ect. I moved on to a smaller company, almost the same. The owner retired, and all the good things slowly went away. So I moved on to a third, when the economy slowed down in 2008, they laid off the newest hired. With my fathers healt failing fast, it was a good time to pack up and move to Colorado, and quit the rat race.

Back in February when I was looking for parts to wire my lathe, the electrical section was fairly bare of anything made of plastic. They blamed a resin shortage for that.

The local Dodge dealer in my business group is only getting one key per car now due to the semiconductor shortage, for the few cars they are getting, and another dealer said this morning they expect to be out of cars to sell by August at the current delivery rate.

My day job is at a communications company.
We absolutely see huge issues with semiconductor and passive component (resistor, capacitor, etc.) supply; orders being delayed and quantitites limited.
Apparently the plastic resin used in components like fans, etc. is in very short supply and it's being blamed on the frozen pipes in Texas shutting down so many petrol-chemical processing plants.
-brino

being blamed on the frozen pipes in Texas shutting down so many petrol-chemical processing plants.
-brino

That has got to be the lamest excuse I've heard, yet. It was cold for a few days. I could see that causing some pressure on the market, but not to the point of store shelves being cleaned out, along with the metal, wood, and semiconductor shelves.

There is something amiss.

Last edited:
Back