Q.c.t.p. Woes

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
I have a Shars BXA wedge style quick change on my new to me Bolton lathe. The " main tube" that the jamb nut tightens down on will back off with the nut when I loosen it to reposition the tool.
View attachment 109204

It totaly kills the convinience of a qctp when I have to screw the jamb nut all the way off, then tighten the "tube" then thread the jamb nut back down.
So my question is, would " lock tighting the tube be a bad idea?
uploadfromtaptalk1440303557842.jpg

It is about .020 from reaching the bottom of the body of th qctp.

The next question is, I have both medium/blue and red/full strength Locktight®, which would be better for this application.

I am open to sugestions.
Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

another thing you can do is to slightly deform the external threads on the tube and install.
the thread deformation will lock the tube.

I've seen them welded, loctited (sic) and staked. I just make sure mine is dry on bottom and lubed on top, and it always stays down. Given the need, I would stake the bottom of the nut rather than the screw. Chisel inclined about 30° off CL would be fine about 4 places, then tighten it down firmly once.

Might want to look at the finish of the nut face and the top of the tool post. If they are not pretty smooth, the prevailing torque will unscrew the wrong connection.

:+1: Like Bamban, I used Loc-Tite where the bottom of the bolt screws into the t-nut on the compound. I don't remember what number formula it was, but it was red.

GG

Back