QC gear box

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
Picked up a gear box for my 101.07403 Craftsman lathe. Got it pulled apaart cleand up. Painted it wil start putting it back together tommarow. replaced the bushings while it was apart.

KD,
Got any pics? When you add this gearbox is it a direct fit or will you have to build adaptors to get it to work. The reason I am asking is because I am not very familiar with sears lathes so I am kind of in the blind. If it is a direct bolt on, was it offered as an option or will it make the lathe into a different model that was available as a complete unit. I am very interested in add on gear sets because I would like to add them to my HF 5980 mill.lathe/drill. That machine is lacking any kind of power anything and has a limited speeds selection. A QC gear box would be the cats meowww. Thanks for the thought.
Bob

The gear box was an option for my lathe. There was also outher models sold with the quick change. s this is a direct bolt on for my lathe. I will post some before and after pic's once it is installed.

Bob,

To answer your Model Number question, adding the correct Atlas (Craftsman) QCGB to a 12X36 101.07403 effectively turns it into a 101.27440. However, the same kit fits eleven more models from 101.07360 through 101.07402 and I'm not exactly sure what you would call one of them after the conversion. For example, the 101.0736X and 101.0738X models lack power cross feed and Atlas apparently never made (Sears never sold) those 8 models with a QC as they were discontinued several years before the first QC was offered. Same comment would apply to 101.07400 through 101.07402.

KD4GIJ,

Did you by any chance get an installation manual when you bought the kit? Reason I ask is that there were two kits offered. And the only one that anyone I know of has come up with the manual on is 101.201451. Its front page say it fits 101.27580 and 101.27590 (Atlas 3982 and 3983), the so-called Commercial models. A question that has come up more than once on the Atlas_Craftsman group over on Yahoo is what's the difference between the two models or how do you tell from the box what it will fit.

Robert D

wa5cab

No I did not get a manuel with it. I have a copy ofthe manuel for the 101.27440 witch has the instruction for using the QC and parts diagram. I know the handles for the selectors is the way to tell them apart. also the newer one has a clutch on the lead screw. most of the parts are the same the 2 housings have different part #
Bouth QCGB's apeir in the 1960 craftsman tool catalog.

Last edited:
OK. I guess that I will have to keep looking for the earlier QC manual. I knew about the handles, housing (the late headstock housing is flat on the front) and lack of clutch. But someone the other day asked on the Atlas_Craftsman Yahoo group whether the comment about the tumbler compound gear having to be changed out as the later QC manual says and at first no one really knew. Then someone thought through what would happen if it wasn't and said why the consequences of not changing it could be "undesirable". There's also the question that someone asked once about whether or not you have to cut off the lead screw and if so how much.

I think I have that catalog. I'll take a look.

Robert D.

That was me asking about the tumbler gear. I new what the washer on the one for the QC was for. I was needing to know if the tooth count was the same.Once that was confermed I made a washer for my gear. Witch worked out fine. Has enybody called Clausing to see if thay have a coppy of the manual. I have read tomaney different apinions on it the newer box fit the older models so I made shure I got the older one .

Well I got the QCGB all cleaned up and painted and installed. Now I need to find the gear covers and a 40t &48t change gears.

IMG_0086.JPG

thats going to be a nice addition
steve

It occurred to me right after sending that that I was probably talking to the person whom I had mentioned.

I discovered later that the late 12" Change Gear models also use the compound gear with the washer.

You will want the gear cover. Unfortunately, I don't have any early parts. But don't stand at the end of the machine with the change gears engaged and turn the machine on the first time after oiling the gears!!

Robert D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back