QC gear box

Well I got the QCGB all cleaned up and painted and installed. Now I need to find the gear covers and a 40t &48t change gears.

Lookin' good.... i am looking at several NON QCGB Models and also a 101.07402 WITH a QCGB old and a bit grungy but working and no broken teeth
seller wants $ 600 and i can get a nice Non GB unit for 300 but would need to add the GB...which i will have to do. what wou do if you were me ???
Thanks
joe

Adding a QCGB will run $500- $600. So if the one with it isn't compleatley wore out that is the way to go.

Adding a QCGB will run $500- $600. So if the one with it isn't compleatley wore out that is the way to go.

Holy schmoley i upgraded a south bend model B (long power & cross power but no QCGB) to a model A ( with QCGB ) and it cost me $400+/- for the GB, Lead screw, and required stud gears to make it correct w/ the attached threadwex chart

the ways have no grooving that i can detect it has a steady rest and a 3 jaw Chuck....that's it does $ 595.00 seem like a fair price if everything works as it is suposed to ??? i will strip it, clean it replace anything that needs it re paint it. what will it's value be then ??? I will invest about 70 hours plus paint, etc. it will look like showroom and work correctly... would i be able to re-coup my total investment allowing $ 10.00 p/hr for my time ?
i have done Logans and soutbend units and it pays me for my time at that rate. This is my hobby and I enjoy it but i am not familiar with the market for Atlas / Sears units and i would want to be married to it

Holy schmoley i upgraded a south bend model B (long power & cross power but no QCGB) to a model A ( with QCGB ) and it cost me $400+/- for the GB, Lead screw, and required stud gears to make it correct w/ the attached threadwex chart

the ways have no grooving that i can detect it has a steady rest and a 3 jaw Chuck....that's it does $ 595.00 seem like a fair price if everything works as it is suposed to ??? i will strip it, clean it replace anything that needs it re paint it. what will it's value be then ??? I will invest about 70 hours plus paint, etc. it will look like showroom and work correctly... would i be able to re-coup my total investment allowing $ 10.00 p/hr for my time ?
i have done Logans and soutbend units and it pays me for my time at that rate. This is my hobby and I enjoy it but i am not familiar with the market for Atlas / Sears units and i would want to be married to it

That would be pushing it. Atleast around here. Inprestine shape and all of the extras. Steddy & folowl rest taper att. Atlas\Craftsman lathe tend to be worth more parted out than whole. For persanel use it is a great deal to turn a profit not so much. Just my 2 cents. Now your locatind may be a better market than mine.

For the gear cover, you could make a new one, either temporary or permanent, out of some ABS sheet. The motorcycle stereo shown was made from ABS from 1/16" to 1/4" thick, welded together with methylene chloride, available from your plastics supplier.
PA140656a.jpg

The top piece was made from 3/16" stock, bent by heating with a hot air gun. The methylene chloride dissolves the plastic so that it melts and flows into the other piece. You just need to hold it in place for a minute and it will stay. It will be a bit flexible for a while, but will harden up to become one solid piece. Where needed, a section can be thickened by welding on one or more slabs of plastic.

PA140656a.jpg

Re: QC gear box and which to buy

Joe,

You may have already concluded whatever deal you decided to make so I apologize for commenting so late. But I just finished our federal income tax return for 2011, which had to be done by tomorrow.

There was a time when eBay was a good place to research typical costs for things like QCGB's for Atlas lathes. Since the current management took over in 2008, they have made a lot of unfriendly changes including not being able to look back more than 60 days. However, in that (60 day) time frame there have been about five GB's either listed or sold. Prices have run from $255 to $513 (the latter included the reversing tumbler assembly (which you probably wouldn't need) and the gear covers (which you would).

Anyway, if you have nothing to start with, it matters what else comes with the machine. If I were starting from scratch I would be inclined to buy two, basing the choice on one of the lathes being in the nicest condition of the bunch and the other having the most of all of the accessories that were made for the machine and that didn't for the most part come with the first one. And then sell off the excess. So with those that are currently in your sights, that would probably be the one that already has the QCGB plus the nicest looking one of the others that has the most accessories that don't come with the first one.

One other comment - although a good 6" 3-jaw and the original 8" 4-jaw are about the minimum chuck requirements for a decent 12" Atlas setup, I wouldn't give those too much weight in choosing the second machine. Chucks are fairly plentiful. Whereas things like steady and especially follow rests, collet and milling attachments, taper attachments and tool post grinders, and specialty tailstocks and turret attachments aren't. Bought individually, all of those will usually be listed for much higher than their prorated share of a package deal.

Robert D.

Last edited:
Wa5cab is right on the money.

Buying two to make one is a very good strategy that can result in the nicest possible setup at very little cost.
I love buying clapped-out machine tools for cheap when they include all the accessories and tooling, to complete that pristine but bare lathe i bought a few months before.

Back