QCGB-42 Getting there slowly - might be a good thing.

yendor

Active User
Registered
So sometime back I purchased a QCGB-42.
It was in so-so shape not good but clearly not bad, lot's of potential for the right price.

When I went to look at it it was mostly covered in dust bunnies.
It was in a auto repair garage in Manhatten, NYC and they clearly had no idea how to run or what to do with it so it ended up on CraigsList.
It was missing the Tailstock (no big deal I already had a TV-32 10-F so I was good with just moving that over)
The QCGB was jammed up tight but a look up under and behind with a flashlight showed it was packed with chips that were bindging in the gears.
It had a nice condition 3 Jaw 8" Chuck with reversible jaws, the Lead Screw showed almost zero wear as did the bed rails.
So I pulled the trigger talked them down to $250 and it went home with me.
I figured the worst that could happen was it got parted out.

Well, life and all it's stuff 2-1/2 years later I'm finally getting around to putting it all together.
I sold a house, moved into a rental, built a house, and prepped out a new expanded work shop since i brought it home..
I picked a few of it's missing parts along the way., and started doing a dry run assembly to check it all over.
Today was mount the headstock & QCGB and a clean up of the CounterShaft.
The one with the Grease Caps that get tightened every so often to squeeze grease into the roller bearings.
The grease was so old and dried up I had to use a drill bit held with vise grips to drill out the old packed in grease. It came out in brown dried up chuncks.
That's why I'm saying getting there slowly might be a good thing. I hope to clean this up right.
I've got a working lathe the old TV-32 10-F I'm not forced to hurry along to get this one up and running.

I'm also wondering how many of these might be out there with old packed in dried up grease that prevents anything from getting to the roller bearings.
I probally should have taken some pic's (I know we all like pic's) but it was just a rainy day so I went to the basement and just started in on it.

I'll try and get some stuff up as I go along but no promises
I'm bad about remembering to take a camera with me .
I've got a long way to go but.. it's the journey right not the destination.

For $250 for the lathe, you did quite well. I've seen just the QCGB alone go for twice that.

I seem to have lost or at least mis-placed a part.
Does anyone know what size the woodruff Key for the 10-80 (4) step pulley on the counter shaft should be?

In the parts diagrahm I have it is listed with a question mark?
Countershaft-Key.JPG

Unfortunately, until the final 1966 printing of the 10F parts list, they didn't even show that there was a key. And the key number is either not shown or was illegible on the scanned copy that I have, which is the one that you have. However, although the 12" countershaft assembly is quite different from either of the 10" ones, it does use the same 10-80 4-step pulley. It shows the key as a No, 3 Woodruff. So try that and report whether or not it worked. If it did, I'll change the "?" to a "3" on the PDF in Downloads and in groups.io Files.

Thank you I will try to source one locally and let you know.

OK. If you can, I suggest carrying the shaft and the pulley along with you. Also, a #3 is 1/8" thick and the key seat cutter that makes its slot is 1/2" diameter. You may run into a minimum order problem at a machine shop supply house. McMaster sells them for ball park $10 per 100. As you don't need a hundred of them, they may cost you a buck apiece but any decent Ace Hardware should have them available by the onesies.

It is a #3 Woodruff Key.
I took the shaft & pulley to my local ACE Hardware (it's a great store for small misc things that the big box stores just don't stock).
They had an assortment box of woodruff keys.
Someone must have mixed them up in it's lifetime as the Proper Key that fit was in the #5 - 1/8' x 5/8" compartment.
But when I got home and measured it with my caplipers it was clearly a #3 - 1/8" x 1/2" key (.127" x .479")
.95 cents.
Thanks.

OK. Thanks. I will update that page in the 1966 revision of the 10F parts list and upload the revision to Downloads.

Done.

Last edited:
Back