QCTP Base Question

Hi, I just wanted to post back that I have just downloaded, installed and registered Fusion 360 as an "Enthusiast".

To register, just click on the countdown of days left in your trial period and it pops up this window:

upload_2017-3-9_19-0-17.png

Now the learning curve begins.........

-brino

I was able to sign up as well for the 30 day trial. I know to go to enthusiast when the trial period is up. Thanks, Brino!

Glad to hear it worked out. It's a great piece of software considering it's free!

Autodesk has a great Student/Educator program. Can get a full license for any Autodesk product for 3 years for the asking if you are a student or educator. I use Inventor HSM free being an associate professor at Michigan State. I think High Schools should be all over that and get a license for each and every student. Maybe some kids could become an absolute expert at AutoCAD or REVIT or Inventor HSM or one of the several other professional software packages by the time they graduate instead of just spending thousands of hours with video games. Schools could hold contests and events around software learning goals. FREE use of the software your company has to spend thousands of dollars for so you can sit at the company on company time learning it. They would graduate High School and if expert walk into an $80k job just like that. Some kids would be brilliant and gifted with it.

Fusion is different and free to use. Fusion is web based. That solves a problem with highly complex graphics, it takes a powerful computer to run some of the software due to that. But with Fusion the idea is YOU have an interface (Doesn't need to be a powerful expensive professional style computer.) and THEIR powerful computers crunch through the work of it so you don't need to have a powerful computer and send your work back to you in real time. Solves the hardware issues and allows more people too use it especially at home. And easier to share drawings, etc..

q20v

Thanks for your positive response. Just to be clear I am not saying that there is a problem with either style of T nut.
However, when I faced the same situation of mounting a new QCTP without the capability of milling the blank, I opted to use the existing round T nut and save the new square blank for posterity. I did not see the point of having two round T nuts.
It did require that a new bolt of the proper dimensions be threaded to fit the old round T nut and that was a fun exercise in itself.

It turned out to be relatively easy to do a bit of milling on the lathe. So I have both style nuts now.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your analysis.
View attachment 228063

Not hijacking the thread but a question about the round base in the picture. I bought a used BXA QCTP for a project and it came with a round base like that. What type of lathe is it from? I made a T nut and took off the round but wondered where the base came from.

Just a thought but the square style would be more rigid than the round one.

The square milled profile would be more rigid, but it may not be necessarily warranted. depends on the relative stresses which should be minimal overall.

I also had that issue and to solve the problem of not having a mill at the time. I machines a new bolt for the QCTP to use the existing compound nut. all worked fine it is still there.

It is nice to make your own part. But it should be said that you can buy a pre-made T nut with any thread pattern you want on eBay. Search "Lathe T nut." There are a few people that sell them for common lathes and if you contact them with your specific measurements could likely make what you need. $15.

Back