QCTP Dorian? Aloris? Other?

I have a Dorian CA wedge style on my Monarch. No complaints. Really beefy.

Anyone on here use a FIMS post and holders ? I have a bunch of #4 holders ans was wondering if they would fit on an Aloris CA post . They are a tad larger then my CXAs .

I think I'm leaning toward a more standard wedge style vs. Multi-fix. It did occur to me that it might be difficult to source the holders some day and to replace my holders -wasn't- in the budget. Learned something new though and that's gold.

Dorian has a 4-sided indexable model that can index 24 positions. How useful is indexing? 4 sided seems of limited use to me.

Aloris and Dorian are the industry standard , hence there are many out there available but they are pricey . They do hold their value though when re-selling .

I had considered the Dorian Quadra (at the time there was a new one listed on eBay at 1/2 price), but at the end of the Day they all do the same thing, and although indexing is a nice you just loosen the nut and turn the tool post to whatever desired position. The Dorian Quadra style (and also Aloris indexing) allows multiple holders to be mounted at the same time using their proprietary "expensive" holders. Not something I see needed nor fiscally sound, unless you have money to burn. The Dorian indexing using ball indents, I have seen a few where under high torque they twisted, also one where the post broke. The Aloris uses indexing pins. The standard Dorian uses two dowel pins to align the QCTP, but I do not use them.

I check prices, this would be my suggestion for CXA, the Dorian at $494. Aloris also has a July sale 10% off, but ends up being $564.

Aloris:

Last edited:
I've had pretty good luck with CDCO and Shars AXA and BXA wedge-type QCTPs. They hold tightly and reasonably reproducibly. I think you'll find a world of difference between the piston type and the wedge type, no matter what brand you go with ... especially in the CXA size! And it's more than likely that you'll be able to continue using you existing tool holders, no matter which brand of "head" you buy.

Dorian has a 4-sided indexable model

My 4 way has 24 postition indexing and that is a godsend. I have no experience with anything Dorian.

I have an offshore piston AXA, and offshore piston BXA and a real Aloris wedge BXA. The real Aloris Feels a lot more solid and stable, probably due to better fitting and quality control. I haven't ever experienced any shortcomings to the piston type. I'm sorry for your experience.

Back