QCTP for 109 Lathe

welderr

Registered
Registered
I picked up one of the $30.00 JinWen QCTP's off Amazon for my 109. I milled out a full width t-nut for it and locktited a stud in place. It seems to be a copy of the A to Z cnc tool post which is no longer made. It's no Aloris but it should be fine for what I plan for this Lathe.TJ

IMG_20181204_193903445.jpg

I picked up one of the $30.00 JinWen QCTP's off Amazon for my 109. I milled out a full width t-nut for it and locktited a stud in place. It seems to be a copy of the A to Z cnc tool post which is no longer made. It's no Aloris but it should be fine for what I plan for this Lathe.TJ
That works. A tad high, perhaps, but it should be just fine on that lathe. Be sure to stone the top of the compound flat. The old lantern style posts sometimes leave dingle-berries on the surface. Found that out on my Logan early on when I switched to the Hardinge QCTP.
And once you go QCTP you never go back. :grin:

I really wanted to go with an OXO but I knew it would take some Bridgeport surgery on the compound and this was a good way to get my feet wet on this machine without a big cash outlay. I am going to turn a new spidle set up for taig collet's. I am mainly going to use it to make carbuereter Jets out of brass for pulling tractors. It's never going to replace my Sheldon or Atlas but it's got a home if it does what I bought it for. TJ

Are you able to rotate the QCTP on the compound (say when you want to check centre height with the tailstock)? I bought a 0XA set and the corner of the post would hit the casting on the compound. All I had to do was cut/file away a tiny triangle from the corner of the toolpost and then it would work.

Craig

Are you able to rotate the QCTP on the compound (say when you want to check centre height with the tailstock)? I bought a 0XA set and the corner of the post would hit the casting on the compound. All I had to do was cut/file away a tiny triangle from the corner of the toolpost and then it would work.

Craig
Hey Craig , I have plenty of clearance , I know my Atlas 10 inch It has to be milled down slightly but my Atlas/Craftsman 12 doesn't because it is cast different to increase the height. In order for the OXO set to work on my 109 I would basically have to mill the whole compound down to the base of the T- nut slot and use a stud to mount a Tool post the JinWen drops down far enough but you do have to fit a longer stud on the tool holder to be able to fit the lock nut on the height adjustment.I didn't want to make any permanent changes to the machine until I know for sure I am keeping it. TJ

Hi Welderr,
I'm thinking about getting one of these for my Atlas 618....How has it worked for you so far?

Back