Qctp Holder Review Part 1

Ken, where is the Dorian plant from Victoria. I have been down 59 a jillion times, never noticed it either.
Just north of Warton, remember the hole in the wall place called Hungerford? Well there is a farm to market road about a mile north of there on 59 where you turn off of to get to their place. I've never been there myself, but its there on Google Maps. Look at the map on their website. And I mean it's out in the middle of a corn field too!

http://www.doriantool.com/contact-us/

Ken

I think I can borrow a Phase II holder so I will add that to the mix if I can. I'm waiting on a piece of steel so it will be next weekend before I can finish part 2.

Just north of Warton, remember the hole in the wall place called Hungerford? Well there is a farm to market road about a mile north of there on 59 where you turn off of to get to their place. I've never been there myself, but its there on Google Maps. Look at the map on their website. And I mean it's out in the middle of a corn field too!

Ken

Okay, I know where Hungerford is. Hmm, who woulda thought.
Thanks

UPDATE

I have added a Phase II and Accusize holder. Accusize seems to be the Shars of Canada. The holder was available through Amazon.

BXA-11.png
BXA-15.png

The Accusize is the only holder to use a smaller 8mm set screw. The screw has a loose fit. The Phase II 10mm set screw fit is good but the 5mm hex key sockets are tight, two would not accept a 5mm hex key. A 3/16" key can be used but is a loose fit that would cause problems after a while. The set screws for both holders are candidates for replacement.
BXA-14.png

Phase II - Fit and finish falls in-between the Shars & CDCO. Of the six holders this one is the smallest over all.
BXA-12.png

Accusize - Finish wise it looks great. Unfortunately the bottom of the slot for the tool is not flat. There is a hump in the middle with a twist. Measurements at the right = 0.000", middle = +0.002", Left = -0.002". In the short direction it varied between 0.002" to 0.003".
BXA-13.png

Below is an updated matrix. I expanded the rows to be able to more easily compare the different attributes of each holder. I also added the measurements of the dovetail. The width measurement is taken in-between precision ground pins set at each side of the dovetail. Both pins are 0.2504" in diameter.

In addition I have also added repeatability data for a no-name import piston style QCTP left over from my original lathe. Because the piston style QCTP pushes away I added measurement data in the Z direction.

BXA Test Data.png

One thing to mention about the piston style QCTP is that if one just drops a in holder and tightens some of the holders were susceptible to locking with the holder slightly askew. To get good measurements it was important to apply some back or forward pressure into the dovetail so it would seat square each time. The holders with the loosest fit were the most susceptible but felt better locked in. Holders that were snug were less susceptible but didn't feel well locked in.

I will also mention that a few of my other CDCO holders will not fit in the piston style QCTP but they all fit in the wedge style.

Ken

I didn't know Dorian was US made. I'm not rallying against imports. There just seems to be more variability as this thread corroborates.
I'll add Dorian to my list of preferred.

Daryl
MN

I didn't know Dorian was US made. I'm not rallying against imports. There just seems to be more variability as this thread corroborates.
I'll add Dorian to my list of preferred.

Daryl
MN
Dorian is usually thought of as making excellent tool posts and accessories. They also have prices to match, and well out of my budget, unless I stumble on to a screaming deal on some previously owned stuff.

Daryl, Just understand that customer service at Dorian is abysmal. This has been also experienced by several others that I know of.

I spent close to $900 on their stuff and had multiple problems. I solved most on my own but I called them on one issue (cutoff tool too low on BXA). They admitted that it was a design change gone bad and their only help was suggesting that I mill off the top of the holder so that the adjuster screw would get more range. They refused to remedy the problem they created and then sold to me via the retailer.

They are finished very nicely and look great but that ain't too helpful when it's made wrong.

EDIT: BTW, I called them before I ever bought their stuff and asked if I had problems if they'd help. I had heard that others had some issues with them. Of course they said they'd help and not to be concerned. Now I have confirmed that that they were BS'ing me and when the time came for the help they promised, they tell me to "mill" it.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Just understand that customer service at Dorian is abysmal. .

That's huge valuable information.
In my head something isn't sold unless the customer is happy.
That justifies a little more cost. Not huge more, but some.

Daryl
MN

I love my Dorian SQCPT but I don't like their turning tool holders. They are very nice but I don't like how they keep changing them trying to be innovative.

Dorian used to make "standard" size holders & oversized like Aloris. Then their "standard" holders turned into oversized holders (1 shanks size up) as the norm. Now their "standard" size tool holders are what I call extreme overside which are 2 shank sizes up.

I have Dorian BXA holders that were previously their oversized holders (2 shank sizes up) & one of their "standard" extreme oversized holders. I know this sounds confusing but blame Dorian. The 2 BXA holders I am talking about both accept 1" shanks but they are not the same, the "standard" holder doesn't have as deep of a slot as the other. You can see them here in post 8.

I do however love Dorian's latest style boring bar holders. As far as turning holders I use the older style Shars holders (not included in jbolts review) cause I couldn't afford to get all Aloris, DTM, or Dorian holders. They're more like the PhaseII & CDCO size. I've always had trouble with the CDCO holders, most of the ones I got had crooked adjusti g rings, the threaded holes were not straight & caused the adjusters to be a PITA to use.

Will,
Thanks for the background on Dorian. It is helpful to understand the background on their tool holders changes, their product releases, and some of the details of their inconsistencies. Now I better understand the risk of buying from them. I call it "Unbaked Product Development". Real product development includes actual product trials and tuning before you release it to your customers. Sounds as if Dorian needs to take a tranquilizer and slow down.

As the owner of an "Unbaked" product release, coupled with their poor customer service, I certainly do not see their brand as innovative or trustworthy. I would put it in the category of "trial and risk". It is sad to see a US manufacturer ruining their brand.

BTW, I sure hope they don't try to improve their basic QCTP!

Back