QCTP holder

I run a Enco 12x36 with an AXA sized wedge toolpost. Toolholders up to 5/8" are available. I can stall my 1.5 HP motor long before I have problems with the rigidity of the toolpost. I've been happy with it. Nothing wrong with the BXA either, but less adjustment room. You will do great with either.

In my experience there is no difference between piston and wedge toolposts, at the level of precision anybody reading this should be worried about.

I prefer the wedge type simply it seems easier to put the tool block on the post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i|'d have gone with wedge but the only one available for impulse purchase was a piston. It is AXA on a 12X36 and I've had great repeatability and better than expected rigidity.

Note: I use Rocker (Armstrong), 4-way AND QCTP all on the same lathe, depending on what I'm doing. |for the bet rigidity, I use 4-way, every time. For versatility, I use the QCTP, and for hard-to-reach things I use the rocker with 1/4" HSS tool bits.

Crapola....after messing with it for a bit and considering the t nut I would need I realized that the main bolt/stud (not sure if it has an official name) is 5/8" but the slot in the cross slide is also 5/8". The only way this will work is if I open up the slot. I looked on the Shars site since they have detailed measurements of the tool holders and even they don't say what the main bolt/stud size is. What is everyone doing to solve the issue? Widening the slot?

I was taught from a early age to modify the cheaper part.i know that doesn't help you any but wanted to throw it out there.

Do I really need to use a t nut? Could I just make a flat piece to fit in the horizontal slot and thread it to fit the post? The horizontal slot is 5/16".

I have a craftsman 12x36 also and am making a norman style qctp. To get started I used a 5/8 carriage bolt. I had to slightly file the edges to fit the slot and also had to file the top of the bolt and file the edge in two places so the bolt will fit in the slot. I will make a proper T nut and 5/8 stud in the future. I'll post a picture of the bolt when I get a chance to take one. It will at least get you started and only takes a couple of minutes.

Mickri, is your slot opening 5/8" like mine? If so, will you widen the slot to fit the t nut? I think you idea of using a 5/8 carriage bolt is pretty smart. I had a 1/2" that I put in and it almost fit.

Last edited:
Looks like the Shars AXA uses a 14mm stud vs a 16mm of the BXA.

Shars QCTP.jpeg

Back