QCTP Holders Standard? Dorian vs. Phase II

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have the Phase 2 BXA set. I need a couple more tool holders. I see some used Dorian BXA on Ebay.
Will they fit?
Are the dove tails standard?
Thanks

Hi
To a point yes, they are all standard, but some are not ???
All of the USA tool holders will fit but some of the China ones may not, by a small amount.
jeff

Generally yes, they are based on the Aloris standard. I use China holders with my Dorian & have tried various ones & the have all fit fine for me. But as said some China holders have fitment issues. From what I've seen it's mostly with piston vs wedge China tool posts but YMMV. Careful with the newer Dorian "extreme" oversized holders, those can cause problems too having to use spacers in certain applications.

My toolpost is a Phase II AXA and I use a Dorian toolholder on it. Fits just fine.

You don't say if your tool post is a piston or wedge type? In my experience all tool holders will fit a wedge type but not all will fit a piston type. I did testing on the various brands of tool holders and found little performance difference between the high cost tool holders vs the inexpensive imports. As import tool holders go I prefer the ones from All Industrial for fit and finish.

I have an Aloris BXA and have had no problems with chinese tool holders as long as they are 250 - 2xx they should all fit. no experience with dorian or phase ll.

I have a Phase II BXA QCTP on my Sheldon. Over the years I have purchased Shars Type 201 tool holders. The latest batch I ordered are SKU 202-9402. Shars does have different models for different style tool holders. If you have questions as to what holder fits what tool post you can give them a call.

http://www.shars.com/

Back