Qctp holders

Pull the set screws, toss in the trash, and replace with socket head cap screws. May have to turn the heads down for those that fit too close to each other. Also face them off a little and you brave enough, cut a half dog point on them. Now you have a heavy duty set screw!
Haha. The socket cap screw kit I have is chinese garbage too.

Years ago I purchased the A2Z QCTP and holders from little machine shop for my Atlas 618. Works great for me, I have many tool holders they are all aluminum hard anodized.

David

I guess I did it backwards.
Tool post aluminum.
Tool holder steel.
It is 7075 though
20171101_130555[1].jpg

In my case above in the A2Z system, both the tool post AND the holders are both aluminum.

David

In my case above in the A2Z system, both the tool post AND the holders are both aluminum.

I built a OXA qctp like the one I pictured . Bought one tool holder to to get sizing right.
Then I built 5 tool holders....all to large...so I built a tool post for them and gave the correct sixed one and tool holder to the brother in law for his SB lathe.
So I'm stuck using my custom size tool holders and making them myself if I want more.
I may make a couple from aluminum. Do the threads hold up? I would think that would be the weakest part.

Hi Russ,
when you mention "do the threads hold up"? I am not sure what you mean. If you mean the threads for the posts that adjust the tool height, the post is threaded into the aluminum tool post and it is fixed.

Please clarify.

David

The strength of 6061-t6 and hot rolled steel are very close.

One reason to use steel instead, is finish. If the cutter vibrates, an aluminum/steel interface just reflects
the sound (because Young's modulus is different). You can get sufficient strength with aluminum, but
there's less damping of resonances in the tool. Chatter that you can't hear still leaves phonograph tracks
on the work.

Cutoff tools with wedged holders are really good at damping, they have lots of steel/steel contact.

I was thinking of the set screws to hold the tool bit.

Ah ok. Well again I have so many tool holders that I don't very often change the bits. On the times that I have, there has been no issues with the threads.

David

Even with the cheap offshore AXA holders the opnly problem I have had is with the socket head set screws being soft. Very cheap to replace ($4 PER 50)

Back