QCTP - T Nut

Grendel

Registered
Registered
I presume that the base supplied with a new QCTP with the threaded section is supplied oversize to enable you to machine it down into the required T nut, as I dont have a T nut for the lathe this is my main option as it already has the threaded hole for the 16mm post supplied. I need to remove a fair amount from the 2 sides so it will be hacksaw, then mill then mill 2 rebates into the top half of the nut to accommodate the thickness of the nut slot. the other option would be to start from some blank stock, then drill the 16mm hole and thread it, and then do all the steps above.

I presume that the base supplied with a new QCTP with the threaded section is supplied oversize to enable you to machine it down into the required T nut, as I dont have a T nut for the lathe this is my main option as it already has the threaded hole for the 16mm post supplied. I need to remove a fair amount from the 2 sides so it will be hacksaw, then mill then mill 2 rebates into the top half of the nut to accommodate the thickness of the nut slot. the other option would be to start from some blank stock, then drill the 16mm hole and thread it, and then do all the steps above.

I did mine with an angle grinder with a cut-off blade and a file.

I milled it all on one side. Was decent material and took a while. I hacksawed then milled the other side and it wend much faster. The sweat was worth it. Good luck.

If you also have the capability of turning it in the lathe using a non-QCTP post and tool, you can chuck it up and do it there. I think it was mrpete222 on youtube that demonstrated that.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

There is no rule that says it has to be square, or even rectangular, The "T" nut can be round. When I got my Aloris QCTP the supplied plate for the "T" nut part was too big for the slot on my lathe.

Not having a milling machine I set up the plate in the chuck and faced two sides to get teh correct width, then simply threaded the plate onto the supplied spindle, set it up in 3 jaw chuck and machined it to fit the slot.

if you were so inclined, you could hold the t-nut in a QCTP holder, hold an endmill in the 3j chuck, and lower the QCTP holder holding the nut to machine the grooves to fit into the compound.
i would suggest making the T-nut fit the compound as precisely as you can to keep the nut from moving around during heavy or interrupted cuts

thanks for all the advice, i milled the two side rebates, leaving the t nut as thick as it came, it was a good tight fit, after i took a grinder to it to get it to fit the sides of the wide part of the slot, I hammered it into place with a soft face hammer. I couldnt do the work on the lathe as i dont have power to it yet, or a tool post until I got this nut done, I did test the big 3 jaw chuck by holding my live centre from my unimat in it, when i turned the chuck the centre didnt move, i then used it to do a quick align on the tailstock. enough for today, cleanup of the mill tomorrow, i have already had to dig a metal splinter from my foot where it got into my shoe. pictures tomorrow too.

oh no worries it still moves if needed (with a little light persuasion), its just a good tight fit as Ulma Doctor suggested

Back