QCTP

richz

Active User
Registered
Looking to ungrade to QCTP. The lathe is 14X40 model 6560. Should I go with a BXA or CXA?

According to Aloris, you could go either way.
The benefit of CA is that you can put larger tools in the holder.
CA cost more of course.

Checkout Aloris site.. They list specs for center bolt sizes, etc.
Sounds like your machine should probably have the CA.

I have a 13" Harrison with BXA, and that is plenty beefy for me.. Though I'd like to have larger tool size use..

Looking to ungrade to QCTP. The lathe is 14X40 model 6560. Should I go with a BXA or CXA?

Having just gone through this last week I can offer my experience. The BXA is for Series 200 toolholders and the CXA if I'm not mistaken is designed for Series 300 toolholders. The offshore BXA that I purchased was designated as 12" - 15" swing as the CXA was of course for a larger swing though the sizes did overlap just like the AXA & BXA sizes do. Assuming you don't have toolholders already I can tell you there's a considerable difference (in my mind) in the cost difference between the two.

I chose the BXA since I already had a bunch of Series 200 toolholders.

HTH

Maybe have a look at this thread to see the difference between AXA and BXA -and your imagination can make the translation from BXA to CXA. A 14" lathe does not need a CXA. You will find that any lathe with a QCTP that is too large is a total pain in the butt. When making new items from fresh stock, you will need to waste more in terms of the end cutoffs and maneuverability when working on existing pieces can be a nitemare. For this reason, I find myself using an AXA on my 12" lathe even though the BXA fits too.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/18242-AXA-BXA-What-the-HEXA!!!

Ray

Hey;

A BXA is the proper size, or the best compromise at least. It will never be too small or too big. A CXA might be too big much of the time, and an AXA only occasionally too small. I have a BXA on my 16" Prentice and it is just right. I plan to try it on my Logan 200 when I get it done, knowing it is too big but seeking to economize. Choices - #1; BXA, #2; AXA. I'd get the BXA.

We have 4, 14" Jets and have installed BXA's on them. I would say they are a perfect fit We have AXA's and CXA's in the shop and I would say that the A is too small and the C is too large.

Back