Quadraplegic laundry stove gets new prosthetic legs !

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
In looking for a replacement of the old rusted out barrel stove at the hunting shack, we found an old broken down two burner laundry stove
at a local junk seller. It was missing the front doors and the legs were missing and or broken beyond use. Also the round cast iron
grate was cracked in several pieces so it was a bit of a challenge to return it to usefulness.

These stoves put out a lot of heat on the cook top so will be able to use it for heat was well as for cooking. Another interesting feature
is that the bowl of the stove has a water jacket in the cast iron with one inch pipe threads. I'm not using the water heating feature but
the stove heats up nicely anyway without any problems.

P1020318.JPG
Here's a photo of the stove in the shop after being renovated with her new longer legs, total investment $15.00.:)

Not many folks are familiar with Goro so a little education is in order. The Goro machine is used on a wood
cook stove to make a Norwegian specialty cracker. I have had this cast iron treasure for quite a few years
and had to do a bit of cast iron welding on the hinge to make it useful once again. The Goro maker is set on
the cook top of a wood stove with the cook top ring removed. This allows one to cook one side and rotate
the unit for even cooking on both sides. I have not tried this yet but it looks like a fun project for the Christmas
season. At any rate, I will try this out using the two burner cook stove and hopefully will end up with a
bunch of Norwegian Christmas cookies.

Here's a couple photos of the Goro maker as repaired.P1020322.JPGP1020320.JPG

P1020320.jpg

P1020322.jpg

Last edited:
Like the Laundry stove tag!, in the UK that would be a "wash boiler" our social housing in rural areas used to have a washboiler in an outside wash house consisting of a brick built fire hearth with a deep cast iron bowl set into it, which held about 8 gallons of water, it was known as a "copper" and doubled up for boiling steamed puddings at christmas! Later generations got the 3 kilowatt Burco washboiler, or its little sibling, the "baby burco"
Phil

the copper.jpg

Burco washboiler.jpg

This I realize is not machining oriented but hopefully interesting just the same to some of you.

Here is another stove used aside a water heater tank specifically for heating domestic water. It's quite old and
manufactured by the Montgomery Ward company. It dates back to the 40's. It uses thermosyphoning
so no pump needed to heat the water in the tank. It might be just the thing to keep a greenhouse warm
at night to extend the growing season in these parts. The poor thing looks a little forlorn in the snow at -17C
or 0F. At any rate, it needs to get used for something and that's the best I can come up with....P1020323.JPG
The water outlet is at the center top of the stove and the inlet on the the back side.

Back