Quality of Bostar QCTP

Made a handle to replace the nut today. Definite improvement with the larger stud.

db9c0887580058f4b302271fc0d1850c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a Grizzly piston, a Phase II piston, a Phase II wedge, an Aloris wedge and finally a Dorian wedge QCTP. I felt the wedge was better than the piston, then it gets murky, when it comes to the wedge type, is the Dorian better than the Aloris?, is the Aloris better than the Phase II? From the fit and finish, yes to both of those questions. The Dorian looks like a piece of art (quality issues seem to vary at times), The Aloris is nice, but compared to the other 2, the Phase II is a little crude, rough edges and uneven finish. But in operation, I noticed no difference between any of the 3 wedge types, in operation. They all work flawlessly. I switched to the Aloris, from the Phase II, because the Aloris was a gift, I switched from the Aloris to the Dorian about 3 years later, because of a written review, describing the difference in the operation in the wedge mechanism, yes it looks different (supposed quicker in operation, much less lever movement), but in operation I see no real difference. Maybe I'm not pushing the work hard enough, I am somewhat disappointed, I spent the boat-load of money on the Dorian, with no real gain in operational performance.

I have tool blocks from Dorian, Aloris, Phase II, many from CDCO and unknown brands, bought off the web, never had an issue, they all worked, some required the lever to me moved a little further, but still workable. I have a lantern post for the 14x40 Jet, ensured it worked, boxed it up and haven't had any reason to use it, to me, the installation of a QCTP, was one of the best thing I ever did in the shop.

I have a lantern post for the 14x40 Jet, ensured it worked, boxed it up and haven't had any reason to use it, to me, the installation of a QCTP, was one of the best thing I ever did in the shop.

QCTP is definitely the best thing to do.

The lantern is nice and works but.. Takes a long time to set up and shim right. "For this afternoons project I will set up the lantern tool post to make one cut." (Makes a guy hesitate to use the lathe with the set up work.)

With the QCTP in a second the tool is on and set, then next operation, next tool another second on and set. (Makes a guy not hesitate to use the lathe with the lack of set up work.)

:confused:
WTF ?????

Being able to do setups is what makes a lathe versatile.:)

I never said anything about anyone not "able" to use a lantern post to set up. Just that it is more time consuming and less efficient than simply using the QCTP.

Well I bought one of these sets in AXA and it's on it's way. Hopefully it will fit better than the BXA.

One tip with that is to make the nut first and screw it on. Screw it very tight down. Then mark the spot where to drill and tap the handle to go in it.

That way handle will be in place when done and not out back or in the way.

I will be doing this as soon as it gets here. Thanks :)

One tip with that is to make the nut first and screw it on. Screw it very tight down. Then mark the spot where to drill and tap the handle to go in it.

That way handle will be in place when done and not out back or in the way.
That's what I did.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back