Quality Padlock

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
In my search for a quality padlock I’ve discovered Abloy and Abus. Finland and Germany respectively. The Abus Granit is one of the best locks I’ve ever seen.

If anyone is looking for great security, take a look at either brand. Awesome!

Also take a look at the Brazilian Papaiz locks, very sturdy and very secure with a cruciform key that has different profiles on all four sides - good enough for my motorcycle with a few feet of anchor chain :)

Dave H. (the other one)

Nice locks, but doesn’t hold up to a bad guy with a battery operated right angle grinder fitted with an abrasive wheel. No key needed:(! Same story with something chained up:(!

Nope, nothing does - better using the chain to attach a Rottweiler!

If they want it, they'll get it - London is suffering from "scooter gangs" who threaten riders with sulphuric acid to get them to abandon their bikes, and there's a long history of plain white vans with 4 or more hefty guys scooping up bikes and carrying them into the vans - unless you've locked it to something SOLID it's gone in 10 seconds...

What works for me is riding a bike nobody in their right mind would consider stealing...

Dave H. (the other one)

.................. with a few feet of anchor chain :) Dave H. (the other one)

We have a big issue with people stealing trailers in our area. Had one stolen several years back, thieves cut the chain to the gate, cut the lock on the trailer, and off they went. Later, the company bought a trailer, this time, they bought the biggest link chain they could find in town. 5/8" grade 80 chain with a huge lock, won't mention the name. Thieves came thru, cut the chain on the gate, we didn't upgrade the chain on the gates, they proceeded to the trailer. They apparently tried to cut the chain, was unsuccessful and left! Probably less than 1 minute spent attempting to steal the trailer. So, yes, a BIG chain does help!

A guy I knew in Austin was fed up with his high end car stereo being stolen in a apartment complex.
the third one he epoxied treble hooks on the back of it.
About two weeks latter 2am he awoke to screaming in the parking lot, there was this guy stuck under his dashboard screaming for 911 , after a few kicks to the thieves mid section the cops and ems showed up , ems cut his dashboard out and took the thief and dashboard to the hospital
The guy went to jail for boobie trapping his property

A guy I knew in Austin was fed up with his high end car stereo being stolen in a apartment complex.
the third one he epoxied treble hooks on the back of it.
About two weeks latter 2am he awoke to screaming in the parking lot, there was this guy stuck under his dashboard screaming for 911 , after a few kicks to the thieves mid section the cops and ems showed up , ems cut his dashboard out and took the thief and dashboard to the hospital
The guy went to jail for boobie trapping his property

I still do not understand the logic in it, it makes no sense to me.

What about the thief? I am willing to bet he didn't go to jail.

For high strength chain, look at Pewag.
The idea is to slow down the attempt. Locks alone won’t stop theft. It’s part of a system of security that needs thoughtful design. That and common sense measures.

Back