Quarantine Projects!

Back on the mower rehab. There is a gear toothed lever that engages an external shaft mounted gear on each of the hydro-static drive units that are engaged by pushing the right hand steering lever outward which acts as a brake for both drive units. The teeth on the levers had been almost completely worn away due to improperly installed linkage, and not having a return spring incorporated in the original linkage design. I looked up the part on line and they wanted $63 plus shipping for each one. $150 for two little pieces of pot metal. So another self inflicted job. Decided to build up the worn tooth area with JB Weld, and try my hand at free form tooth creation. Seems to have worked pretty well, but time will tell. May end up remaking them out of steel if these don't hold up. The floor board area originally had three sections of non-skid material glued on, but only one remained, so I sanded those areas down and applied several coats of rubberized rattle can undercoating. Looks decent, and seems pretty tough. Mike

IMG_20200425_125643158.jpgIMG_20200425_130507147.jpgIMG_20200425_130921626.jpgIMG_20200425_131539422.jpgIMG_20200425_133545012.jpgIMG_20200429_181502046.jpgIMG_20200430_194307835.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_130142648.jpg
    IMG_20200425_130142648.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200425_133735612.jpg
    IMG_20200425_133735612.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
Did a little repair on a dial indicator yesterday.

Back when I was testing the tiny thread I made a few posts ago something broke inside the indicator. I put too much torque on the shaft and broke the corner out of the tiny plastic channel that keeps the shaft from rotating.

The indicator has a small stub that rides in a channel (here removed) to keep it aligned with the pinion gear.

EM520881.JPG

I had broken off the corner of the plastic channel thus causing the stub to hang up on occasion. I glued the piece back on with some plastic cement and then CA glued a small strip of balsa on top for reinforcement.

EM520882.JPG

Seems to work like normal. Gotta be careful of that in the future.

EM520883.JPG

Quarantine project No: 3 I have around 5 Cars at all time on the road, and all of them have winter and summer tires with rims, storing them is becoming a real headache. So i did a bit of planning and started making a tire rack, the plan is to have space for 20 tires on one level and only easy to access sturdy wall is on the entrance, this isn't a big deal only i have to mount it pretty high on the wall. Started by marking and cutting the material for the wall mounts. Also made reinforcement braces that i welded them, ground down, drill 2 holes pre mount and painted them green. The paint is slow drying so i took the outside to get baked by the sun, i'll have some difficulties assembling them in place and mounting them on the wall. I plan to use thick wall tubing to have rigidity and not to be afraid to walk under them.
charcoal-proslat-garage-wall-shelving-10026-64_1000.jpg
IMG_20200429_142945.jpgIMG_20200429_153752.jpgIMG_20200429_160257_2.jpgIMG_20200429_164124_1.jpgIMG_20200430_161705.jpg

Well, looks like my projects will be slowing down a bit. I officially go back to work tomorrow morning! I have mixed feelings about it.

Obviously it has to happen eventually, and I'm grateful to have a job to return to, but man, you get used to it in a hurry, staying home everyday! Waking up late, eating a proper breakfast, tinkering in the workshop for a few hours, doing some yard work/home improvements.

It sucks that this time off came with such a negative root cause but it sure was damn productive for me! I can look back on this thread and know that I did my best to make use of this time off from work.

I'd like to thank everyone for participating in this thread and for all the positivity you've spread amid these times of utter *******t! All you guys were a huge part of my productivity. Having a community of people who are interested in what I'm doing has helped me a lot! I've enjoyed sharing all my little projects and I've enjoyed reading about all of yours! The desire to share what I've been working on has been super motivating and I can't thank you all enough for all the kind words and advice!

So keep the projects going! Some of us may be going back to work but we're still urged to practice social distancing and all that. Let's continue to make the best of this time!

You've got to be running low on welding perishables. :grin:
Every time I check this thread I'm envious of those that can weld.

Projects done to date:
Weldo - Numerous, Me - Zero... Haven't even gotten the shop cleaned up yet.

Well, looks like my projects will be slowing down a bit. I officially go back to work tomorrow morning! I have mixed feelings about it.

Obviously it has to happen eventually, and I'm grateful to have a job to return to, but man, you get used to it in a hurry, staying home everyday! Waking up late, eating a proper breakfast, tinkering in the workshop for a few hours, doing some yard work/home improvements.

It sucks that this time off came with such a negative root cause but it sure was damn productive for me! I can look back on this thread and know that I did my best to make use of this time off from work.

I'd like to thank everyone for participating in this thread and for all the positivity you've spread amid these times of utter *******t! All you guys were a huge part of my productivity. Having a community of people who are interested in what I'm doing has helped me a lot! I've enjoyed sharing all my little projects and I've enjoyed reading about all of yours! The desire to share what I've been working on has been super motivating and I can't thank you all enough for all the kind words and advice!

So keep the projects going! Some of us may be going back to work but we're still urged to practice social distancing and all that. Let's continue to make the best of this time!

Quarantine project No: 3 Part 2, Today was a long day on ladders, drilling, hammering, welding. Started the day with making and drilling holes in the concrete wall to secure the mounts to the wall, i used 14mm ankers on the top, then i used 12mm and 8mm rebar in the second hole and one on the bottom. Then i welded couple of tubes together and managed to get it bolted to the door frame and tack welded it on the other end on two of the mounts and suprase, my welder run out of wire, so i had to stop, tomorrow i'll buy a new spool of wire and continue, i hope you like seeing stuff like this.
IMG_20200504_124918.jpg

You've got to be running low on welding perishables. :grin:

Haha, yea, I've got only 200psi of argon left.

The first day back to work was rough! We started right into some heavy demo work. Man, we should be allowed to do half days for the fist week! I don't want to alarm anyone but I may have the beginnings of a blister... :pickaxe:

That's awesome @GoceKU! Putting stuff up high can make it tough to access but it's just wasted space otherwise. Use it up!

Haha, yea, I've got only 200psi of argon left.

The first day back to work was rough! We started right into some heavy demo work. Man, we should be allowed to do half days for the fist week! I don't want to alarm anyone but I may have the beginnings of a blister... :pickaxe:
Here ya go! :grin:
1588647063986.png

Hahaha thanks a lot! Why doesn't the Band-Aids package have sex appeal anymore? Ah the good old days!

Man, working for 8 hours is harder than I remember it!

Back