Quarantine Projects!

@Grinderman Dude, that's incredible work! Very nice! Do you dabble in sculpture a lot? Copper is so nice to work with. A while ago I made a small oil pot thing for the shop out of copper. I'll snap some pics sometime soon.

Thanks a lot. First time “art” project and first time working with copper. The copper isn’t bad to work with aside from having to anneal it a couple of times to keep it soft.

I've always wanted a ball turning attachment for my lathe. After watching Jere Kirkpatrick YouTube on his attachment I got some good ideas and decided it was time what with the apocalypse and all. Here's a pic of the mount plate, the rotary mount and the cutter mount. I had some carbide triangle cutters but they don't have a screw hole so I think I'm going to modify for 1/4" HSS cutter. The height of the cutter mount right now is about 3/8" too tall so I'm still ok, hopefully. It was the first time I've done this kind of angle cut for the "relief" on the mount. The plate behind the assembly was the other half of the base plate. Kinda a before and after. I surfaced the base plate with the old Atlas 7b shaper. I've also got to mount the handle arm too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    652.7 KB · Views: 74
If only I had the room here....

Along those lines I wonder if an old dishwasher could be converted to recirculate parts washing fluid! Maybe disable the heater element and plug up the drain. It would need a filter I guess, or maybe not. Imagine putting a bunch of greasy parts in there, pushing a button and coming back in 45 minutes to nice clean parts!

Works great with hot water and dishwashing detergent. Just be sure she'll be gone long enough for the cycle to finish.

MrWhoopee-
I've often thought about going to an appliance reclaim store (like Habitat for Humanity) and picking up a cheap old dishwasher. You could even leave the heater in place - hot water works better than cold! One caution, though ... dishwasher detergent is pretty durn alkaline and it will frequently attack/discolor aluminum items. So if you're cleaning aluminum, run it with plain water!

Sunday I had the Kubota out and about . I'm still digging out a hill down at the other place . I used 6 or 7 buckets of dirt and filled in my backyard fire pit , leveled it out and then hit my rockpile and build a new pit . I'm cleaning up under the " tool tree " to get some new grass seed in . I sorted out metals , crunched about 80 lbs of beer aluminum cans which are ready for shipment , cleaned up the garage a bit , had the 4 wheeler out , and basically cleaning up as usual . No rain today , so I'll have to get out and finish things up . I'll say this , those rocks I moved 30 years ago sure are heavier today for some reason , they must be growing on their own back in the garden . Soon I have to construct a raised garden for the daughter . She wants to upscale our veggie garden to compete with our deer population . Every year it's the same thing , it goes well up to one night and the deer come and have a feast , eating everything down to ground level . As far as time off from work , not me . Everyone else in the house has off ( other than my one son who is an OT ) . Hopefully I'll get a chance for pics today and get some basement time tonight .

Lots of good projects goin'!

@matthewsx that looks like a little 6" lathe? It's amazing what a coat of paint can do! It's gonna look amazing!

@C-Bag That ball turner is sweet! I like the shapered finish. I sometimes wonder if I want to buy an Atlas shaper, it's such a cool machine. Also if you still want to use triangle inserts I have some laying around that I can't use, Here's a link to the trading post forum.

@dlane I've never seen a grinder like that, but it's awesome!

Thanks Weldo. My problem is I'm not set up to cut the pockets as precise as they should be. I was so involved with the other aspects of the project that I just thought I'd figure that out when I got to it. But I'm stunned how deep the wabbit hole of insert nomenclature etc is and how crucial the pocket is to proper function. I'm already set up to grind and profile HSS so I think I'll stick with what I know for now. I'm thinking the same 1/4" HSS setup I use on the shaper will work fine and if not I'll make something else.

Weldo, I’m not sure about more durable but it cures in and hour vs days.
I did buy a dishwasher from Craigslist one time for $25 to use as a parts washer for a Willys Jeep transmission and transfer case. I put caster wheels on it. I never got to use it. By the time I was ready I had to back to working out of town.

Back