Quarantine Projects!

Lard oil is the clear, colourless oil pressed from pure lard after it has been crystallized, or grained, at 7° C (45° F). It is used as a lubricant, in cutting oils, and in soap manufacture. The solid residue, lard stearin, is used in shortenings…

Hey thanks for clearing that up! I've actually never found a good explanation of what lard oil even is. As for me, I am indeed using bacon drippings. Actually I think my latest batch was from the New Years pork roast. I filtered it through some paper towels. I was kind of worried about the salt content but now I don't think it's a problem, in fact it may be why my cutting lard never seems to go rancid...

"The tails follow" is the recommendation for link belt rotation.

In that case I think I did it right. The links kind of look like arrows I guess and they point WITH direction of rotation.

The fun of sheltering in place is about to begin. AR15 barrels R Us. The junior shooters will have plenty to burn in the next couple of years.

What all you gotta do to 'em? Chamber? Profile outside? They look pretty chunky for AR barrels!

Lard oil is the clear, colourless oil pressed from pure lard after it has been crystallized, or grained, at 7° C (45° F). It is used as a lubricant, in cutting oils, and in soap manufacture. The solid residue, lard stearin, is used in shortenings…

If I wanted to make lard oil could I just buy the tubba lard you pictured and press the crap out of it? Would that yield me purified lard oil?

I've only ever found one place on the net that sells it, here but now I can't find it on their site.

What all you gotta do to 'em? Chamber? Profile outside? They look pretty chunky for AR barrels!

They are 1.005 straight so I can chamber them through the Jet 1024 headstock which has a limited spindle bore of 1-1/16.

Chamber, cut to finish at 20 for service rifle, turn the front end for the .750 gas block, drill/ream gas port, thread muzzle for flash hider, crown.

The 12.xxx inch long section inside the handguard will remain at 1.005.

These barrels will be used in service rifle high power competitions, at distances 200, 300 and 600. The adventurous ones, with the same 80 grain ammo, might try their hands at 1000.

Last edited:
I'm working on my mill DRO project.
Have the x and y axis done. Need to mount the display and put the table back on.

#MeToo - DRO install I mean. Got the display mounted - the easy part. Working on the Y axis next - the trickiest part.

We’re in lock down for 4 weeks here in New Zealand so hoping to get a few projects completed. I just hope I have the right materials available.

Keep safe everyone.

David P

#MeToo - DRO install I mean. Got the display mounted - the easy part. Working on the Y axis next - the trickiest part.

We’re in lock down for 4 weeks here in New Zealand so hoping to get a few projects completed. I just hope I have the right materials available.

Keep safe everyone.

David P
Be great to see pics as you proceed. :)

If I wanted to make lard oil could I just buy the tubba lard you pictured and press the crap out of it? Would that yield me purified lard oil?

You would have to try it. I'm not clear on whether the commercial lard is before or after pressing.
The stuff is cheap enough.
Let us know.

This quarantine will be responsible for more DROs being installed than anything else. I finally mounted my Z axis using scrap aluminum pieces. The taper on the side of the mill is 2 degrees so I made an angle to put it the vise. BB6AE34C-7409-4221-BDBA-683A1A04A705.jpeg2ECDEC58-CB07-4F94-88D5-97BD916589EE.jpegA6DAF083-BACC-4487-AA44-139E6D8493DF.jpeg

Got some more work done!

Made a bunch of rags out of an old bath towel. We all know the home shop runs on good rags! I had to throw out my previous collection of rags. They were all so filthy that the stuff I attempted to clean got even dirtier!

EM520555.JPG

The cutting up of the towel led to the next thing, rehabbing the scissors! These were my grandma's scissors she used exclusively for fabric and sewing work. They must be at least 60 years old and in need of some attention. Although even in this state they work very well.

EM520556.JPG

Some rust had accumulated.

EM520557.JPG

Here they are after half an hour of wire wheeling, sandpapering and scotchbrite.

EM520561.JPG

EM520562.JPG

They work so beautifully! Even the sound of them is pleasant! They'll cleanly cut a piece of toilet paper all the way to the tip of the blade. Sweet!
*Disclaimer* One square of toilet paper was sacrificed for testing...

Also I organized my grinding wheels. They used to just sit on the top shelf in a pile but look at 'em now!

EM520563.JPG

Tomorrow I may finally balance my bench grinder. I picked up the Oneway kit a few months ago.

Back