Quarantine Projects!

I see. I saw junior and my mind went to "high school".

When chambering a barrel there's a lot to consider isn't there? How deep the chamber goes can affect how accurate the gun will shoot and could even make it unsafe.

I seem to remember reading something about the tiny bit of free space in between the projectile and the rifling of the barrel. Like if the bullet has to travel too far before it contacts the rifling, then accuracy can be affected negatively. Gunsmith machining is definitely a whole nother world. Lots of intricacies.

Got some more work done!

Made a bunch of rags out of an old bath towel. We all know the home shop runs on good rags! I had to throw out my previous collection of rags. They were all so filthy that the stuff I attempted to clean got even dirtier!

View attachment 318039

The cutting up of the towel led to the next thing, rehabbing the scissors! These were my grandma's scissors she used exclusively for fabric and sewing work. They must be at least 60 years old and in need of some attention. Although even in this state they work very well.

View attachment 318040

Some rust had accumulated.

View attachment 318041

Here they are after half an hour of wire wheeling, sandpapering and scotchbrite.

View attachment 318042

View attachment 318043

They work so beautifully! Even the sound of them is pleasant! They'll cleanly cut a piece of toilet paper all the way to the tip of the blade. Sweet!
*Disclaimer* One square of toilet paper was sacrificed for testing...

Also I organized my grinding wheels. They used to just sit on the top shelf in a pile but look at 'em now!

View attachment 318044

Tomorrow I may finally balance my bench grinder. I picked up the Oneway kit a few months ago.

I love the basic stuff: Rags, grandma's scissors:applause 2:

For a 61 YO dude , I did a lot today . Finished the pit . cut two lawns , started parting out the Cub , put down 50 lbs of grass seed , inquired about a back hoe for the bota , put some tiles in the upstairs bathroom , have all my cans ready to go the scrapper ( which is closed do to crono ) . Tomorrow I break out the chain saws and load the pit once again , Sun night was the first trial run which went great . Once Im assurd the chain saws are up to snuff , I'll get bck on the shop stuff .

Once again I lose 3/4 s of the pictures . I will find them cuz their going onto CL . :grin:

Tonight , I will be counting the change jar . I hope to come out with 3-4 Gs . I've scoped out a 28 ft trailer that would solve my problems short hand .

I see. I saw junior and my mind went to "high school".

When chambering a barrel there's a lot to consider isn't there? How deep the chamber goes can affect how accurate the gun will shoot and could even make it unsafe.

I seem to remember reading something about the tiny bit of free space in between the projectile and the rifling of the barrel. Like if the bullet has to travel too far before it contacts the rifling, then accuracy can be affected negatively. Gunsmith machining is definitely a whole nother world. Lots of intricacies.

Not any more intricate than other machining. It still boils down to Machining 101 - cutting to a dimension while maintaining set up and workholding integrity.

Last edited:
But then you guys would all get all my tools for pennies per pound just after my funeral.....
It seems every idea I come up with for a Q project ends up with the above as the final step....

And I do not mean to say THE BUG is what will get me:cautious::grin:

Back