Quarantine Projects!

I just found their website. I don't think I have need of the machine part since I have a belt sander, but their site is a great source of belts!

My sander takes 2" x 48" belts and most places want to sell you a pack of 10 belts all the same grit. On Multi-Tool's site you can buy individuals and mix and match. Not to mention that polishing belt, I'm eyeing that up now!

When I bumbled on to mine it was a floor model in the welding shop I used to frequent and they were closing it out. My old HF grinder had given up the ghost so why not? I was thinking I'd stand it up the belt but as I used it I realized it was more useful like it was. Having access to the platen, the radius of the rubber drum and the unsupported belt underneath was not what I was used to but I wouldn't change it now. The drawback is the 2x36 belt is not a popular size so it's a little proprietary but with this kit it's expanded its usefulness. I use the wire brush and sanding disk more than the belt but it literally takes 2sec to change and track the belt so I don't even leave the belts on it and just install one as needed.

I got this mag base cheap because the rod was missing. I made a socket that is bolted to the base and the 3/8 rod is held in place with two 8-32 set screws. The material I used was the last piece of some free machining steel that I picked up st the drop shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 70
Nice! It’s always great to get a deal. When you can make your own parts and components you can search for “as is” stuff!

I finally got all the details caused by inexperience and making do with what I have worked out. And finally got to do a test cut on my radius cutter/ball turner. I decided to rounding the end of a 1" shaft would be the easiest to try it out. I still have to tweek the cutter profile a bit, but it seems to work good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    722 KB · Views: 59
Lookin good, man! Did you do a thread about your build by chance?

Thanks.

Nope, the only pics are what I'vegot are in this thread. I guess I was embarrassed how long it took me, not to mention I wasn't sure I'd not massively miscalculated and just made a bunch of shiny scrap.

Yea sometimes it goes that way. Looks great now though!

I have two ways of doing projects,down and dirty and as nice as possible. With things so quiet and time on my hands I decided to do as nice a job as possible with all I've learned here and YouTube. What Jere Kirkpatrick's BT had that I really like was the pivot offset closer to the work. It solved the insetting of the pivot bolt and made for a clean install on the crosslide. I'd bought the 1/2x4x12 base plate over a year ago. So I cut it in half so thats why I had the kinda before and after shot of it and the finished plate.

The big takeaway from Jere's design and sage words indeed, was you figure the dia stock you want to do and make everything clear. I wanted to be able to make die's for my beader and they are around 2.25. He also had a long handle on his and I used one of my drill press handles for that since I've taken them off my mill/drill. I've used one for the tailstock quick clamp I adapted on my 9x20 getting rid of the bolt clamp. The other novel idea I took was how to measure accurately the radius. He used a little aluminum angle he bolts in place that's on center with the pivot and measures to the cutter. I went simple and made a score across the centerline and use a small square to measure. I realized he must have a "real lathe" probably atleast 12x36 because mine looks bigger than the ones I've seen on 9x20's. The one piece I copied size wise was the pivot and his was 3" which I happened to have a big chunk of. Works and doesn't chatter which was a major concern along with clearance.

Does the offset towards the spindle also give you extra turning capacity? I'm just finishing a bt derived from Steve Bedair's plans which does not have an offset. This is the first one I have seen with an offset and I like it. Thanks for sharing.

Back