Quarantine Projects!

I've gone through most of the microcontroller types but settled in on Parallax Propeller for simplicity of programming and power and usefulness of system. Also has a great forum for help and ideas (just like this forum).

Here's a little site to look at

Aaron
So, say I purchased that board, what do you do with it? I'd have no idea what I could connect to it and how to program it do do whatever it was I wanted it to do. I just don't even know where to start. I mean, could you connect a simple tail stock type caliper to it and have it display on a DRO? I'd be very interested in that, but again, just because I can buy something, doesn't mean I could have the understanding how to use it.

They don't teach 1st graders trig. So first of all one needs to want to learn, either to do something specific or to put new tools in the tool box of your head. Then start simple. With computer classes they usually teach you how to get the screen to say "hello world", with a micro controller the 1st lesson is 'blink an LED'. After that there are tons of tutorials on YouTube. Some are very good and fit the skill level you are at. Others are above or below your current skill level or done by just plain poor teachers. I've learned many things on YouTube and continue to so. The other thing is a good forum to ask questions and get advice. By a good forum I mean, "are there members who are glad to teach and help you out". Are they friendly and put your interests and personality above their own? Like this forum is with machining and so much more. Many people with skills and experience and desirous to help others.

The next decision is yours. Think about it, count the cost and either jump in or pass.

Respectfully
Aaron

I've been doing an impression of a motor repair shop. My mill's DC motor decide to eat its brushes.
IMG_5216.JPG

I took the motor off, pressed out the rotor and cleaned up the commutator.
IMG_1016.jpegIMG_1017.jpeg

Oh look - there's the rest of the brush...
IMG_4959.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
I also cleaned out the casing, and the brush holders. Buttoned it all back up, and waiting for the supplier to ring me back regarding replacement brushes... They're some sort of weird unobtanium size. 13.6mm high, 5 mm wide, no idea how long. Don't seem to be able to find them elsewhere on the interwebs.

You may be able to find some slightly larger and sand them down (easy) to fit. If you post a detailed picture with dimensions, I'll look through some boxes. I have quite a few.
Aaron

The past 2 days I've been attempting to put some motors together for our chillers in at work . We'll throw one on first thing this morning and see if the rebuild was successful . We have about 25 of these old motors which cost 3 grand a pop . Not my idea of fun but the boss put me on it , and he pays my bills . :grin:

Bearings, and brushes, or rewinding too.

Quarantine Projects No: 1 is doing well, all the plants made it and are blooming. I still need to get some paint and make it look a bit better.
IMG_20200508_140112.jpg
Quarantine Projects No: 4 i also finished, i had to bend the sheet metal in between couple pieces of tubing and i used a lot of rivets to secure the sheet metal to the frame then i had some help and planted couple of bushes.
IMG_20200508_172135.jpg
IMG_20200509_173916.jpg
Quarantine Projects No: 3 Got loaded, i stored 18 tires with rims, i have space maybe for one more for later, i plan to install some lights under it maybe a stereo also.
IMG_20200509_181446_1.jpg

You may be able to find some slightly larger and sand them down (easy) to fit. If you post a detailed picture with dimensions, I'll look through some boxes. I have quite a few.
Aaron

Thanks for the offer, but I’ve got some now. :encourage:

Well compared to the other projects here in the preceding (15) pages, this is bush league.
New ramp for the mower shed.
Despite best intentions, three lasers (for triangulation of start point), a transit (for excavation), two 4' levels and a chalk line, it came out uneven...
Still trying to figure out where I went wrong. One of the lasers must be out of calibration. :cool 2:
The 8" portion shown between the new planks and the doors is the original steeply angled 2x6's.
I wanted a 'gentle' ramp that was not so severe. Too much of a 'drop-off' when coming out of the shed.
Should have demo'd out the original, but everytime we do that on this property it turns into major project, so we left it.
Besides, We still need to put a new roof on it and fix some of the trim, just like on the house... :grin:
1589386657805.png

Back