Query re Dimensions of Front 'V' Way of Grizzly G4003G Lathe

Xiansheng

Congming
Registered
Hi Everyone,

I wonder if SKS (some kind soul) would mind giving me a little help? I would like to obtain the dimensions of the front V way on the Grizzly G4003G lathe, as indicated in pink on the attached image below.

Thanks very much.

Regards, Xiansheng
Way OutlineWay Shape Outline Without Dimensions.jpg

In the absence of any replies to my request for help, in case anyone thinks I am lazy, I live in Australia and therefore can't directly access the Grizzly lathe. My reason for asking for this information to make a comparison with my lathe, because I believe the AL906B available in Australia is essentially the same machine.

Regards Xiansheng

Xiansheng,

I did a little poking around. The two lathes seem to be the same pattern but... The Griz lathe is made in China and the brand with the model number you mention, sold in AU, is made in Taiwan. Most modern 12x36 lathes have the same basic way-pattern but bed widths vary with most ranging from 7" to 7.5". On most lathes made in China, casting, basic grinding and hardening is done in 3 different factories. Finish grinding is usually done in the factory that assembles the lathe. It's hard to say if the way-V's were ground identically.

I don't know if you're looking for approximate dimensions or exact dimensions but, enclosed are the dimensions from my PM1236 lathe that was made in China about 7 years ago. The dimensions were read with reasonable care using depth mics and calipers. The units are inches and it it looks like the part was setup in inches because the numbers were all very "even".

If other people could measure the V on their 1236 Chinese lathe, we might get an idea if they all strive to be the same or not.

Regards

Ray

V-Profile.JPG

Hi Ray. Thanks for providing details of your PM-1236 V profile. It is quite different from mine. I was surprised to see that your V isn't 90 degrees, but 70. I would have thought that a 90 degree V was the easiest to manufacture. A 70 degree profile like yours would increase the weight of the saddle normal to the V flank, but would that provide any benefit?

I am still hoping for details of the profile of the front way of the Grizzly G4003G, if anyone has details to share.

Regards

Xiansheng.

Have you written Grizzly ? See if the sell Tailstocks or a steady rest, to fit your lathe and you can send them a diagram of yours to check if it will fit.

I am in Australia, so I am uncertain if this approach will work, but it is possibly worth a try.

Starting at the top left colored section, the dimensions on my Grizzly G4003G from 2014 are: .336" horizontal then .125" vertical, then 3.93" sloping up, then .197" horizontal, then .416" slanting down, then .756" vertical, then .784" horizontal. These are not easy to directly grab with the calipers, so they are a bit approximate.

Xiansheng, attached is a .pdf of a drawing of what I hope are the pertinent dimensions of my Grizzly G4002. I measured my lathe and drew the machine in SolidWorks to design accessories for the lathe. I don't know that the 4002 has the same dimensions as the 4003, but it would be a good guess that they are the same. I know I used english rather than metric. We here in the States are only about a century behind. I also included a .jpg of the lathe showing a tool post grinder that I designed. I've used the grinder to do a few jobs and it has worked OK. If you need other dimensions, let me know.

Lathe with TPG 01.jpg

Attachments

• Lathe body.PDF
    30.5 KB · Views: 14
Starting at the top left colored section, the dimensions on my Grizzly G4003G from 2014 are: .336" horizontal then .125" vertical, then 3.93" sloping up, then .197" horizontal, then .416" slanting down, then .756" vertical, then .784" horizontal. These are not easy to directly grab with the calipers, so they are a bit approximate.

Hi Wayne. Thanks for going to the trouble of measuring your lathe. Unfortunately even allowing for your measurements being "a bit approximate" they are a lot different from mine. Regards Xiansheng.

Xiansheng, attached is a .pdf of a drawing of what I hope are the pertinent dimensions of my Grizzly G4002. I measured my lathe and drew the machine in SolidWorks to design accessories for the lathe. I don't know that the 4002 has the same dimensions as the 4003, but it would be a good guess that they are the same. I know I used english rather than metric. We here in the States are only about a century behind. I also included a .jpg of the lathe showing a tool post grinder that I designed. I've used the grinder to do a few jobs and it has worked OK. If you need other dimensions, let me know.

Hi Rod. Thank you for the detailed drawing of your lathe bed and the V way. I compared it to mine and although superficially similar, there are numerous differences of a millimeter or less. So close - but not the same. I am rather interested in the tool-post grinder you have designed and built. Is there a photograph you can post of the actual grinder? That's something I need to do. Regards Xiansheng.

Back