Question About An Atlas Mf Horizontal Mill

Fairbanks

Active User
Registered
Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Last edited:
Steve,

First, the base is original (and may be the first that I've seen). It is an Atlas S7-442 (A, B, or C although from the photos, I can't see any differences). Sold up through 1943 or 1944, along with the M1-750 hardwood floor cabinet after 1942. In 1945, the catalog shows both replaced by the steel 9050 (which I have one of).

According to the Atlas MMB-5 manual, the serial number ranges for the four models were:

M1, MF, MH 000200 - 001344 4-STEP
M1A, MFA, MHA 001345 - 005465 3-STEP
M1B, MFB, MHB 005466 - 008123 2-STEP
M1C, MFC, MHC 008124 - ? 2-STEP

It appears that the "A" suffix was assigned retroactively, possibly as late as the time of the change to the "B". The three machines that I know of with serial numbers within the "A" range all have the 3-pulley feed chart and say just "MF" on the nameplate. Plus I know of one machine with a serial number a little above 000900 that has the 3-step pulleys. But I didn't think to ask which feed chart it has.

Anyway, I am inclined to assume because of the speed chart that the one you are looking at originally had the 4-step pulleys and that a PO changed them for whatever reason. From the photo that you posted, the machine that you are looking at appears to have the original M1-300 vise. I gave $250 for mine, with the original crank handle, and thought that I did fairly well. Price range on them is probably $200-$300. The original stand is probably in the same range, so that drops the price of the mill itself to an average of about $750. Which if the mill runs as-is and has an arbor (I think I can see it in the photo), arbor driver (can't tell) and drawbar (wouldn't be visible even if the photo were much better), is a good price.

You will want to get the 3-speed chart but otherwise, I doubt that having 12 instead of 16 speeds is a big deal.

Why old old horizonial?Vertical much more usable. Bridgeport comes mind older J about same price. Just thinking.Tom

Tom-
Excellent point but I really need a small machine and horizontal will work fine for my primary projects. Besides, I have a soft spot for all things vintage, funky or just plain old!

S

Last edited:
Why old old horizonial?Vertical much more usable. Bridgeport comes mind older J about same price. Just thinking.Tom

May I ask why you say that?
More times than not I wish I had a horizontal. What can you do on a vertical you can't do on a horizontal? Some things mat be harder to setup, but the gain in rigidity is worth it. You will not find a vertical in that size range as stout as a horizontal. Or in most cases, any size....

tbel,

A standard Bridgeport (or clone) is over twice the size and three times the weight of an Atlas horizontal. So it isn't really a fair comparison. But as far as being more usable, about the only thing that you can't do with a horizontal that you can do with most verticals is run a tapping head. And if you have a decent drill press, that's no loss. Plus a small horizontal is substantially more rigid than a small vertical, just inherent in the way that they are built. There really are no quality vintage small vertical machines to choose from. All that I know of except for the Clausing 8520/8530 are at least as big as a Bridgeport. Many are larger. Another problem with the Bridgeport designfor the typical home shop is that it is very tall. You really need a 9' ceiling or overhead to move one in, which the average home shop does not have. In any case, you're talking apples and oranges.

[QUOTE="Andre, post: 303373, member: 31170. What can you do on a vertical you can't do on a horizontal? Some things mat be harder to setup, but the gain in rigidity is worth it. ....[/QUOTE]
Andre---one thing is you can see the small endmill or tool or bit a lot easier and watch it cut -----I have an atlas horizontal mill in my small shop and I would like to have a small vertical head for convenience on small work---I have two larger vertical mills and a large older Hendey/Norton universal horizontal mill for heavier work----making a small vertical head to fit on my small atlas just makes it more handier and it will still have all the horizontal features.---Dave

I have a gaggle of small mills. Arboga, Armor JM, Atlas MF, Benchmaster, Burke #4, Clausing 8520 etc...

The big bonus with the Atlas is that most have power feed as standard equipment.
If you wanted the best of both worlds I would say the Burke would be the best hor/vert unit to get. Most have power feed and the vertical attachment is rare but obtainable with a bit of patience.

May I ask why you say that?
More times than not I wish I had a horizontal. What can you do on a vertical you can't do on a horizontal? Some things mat be harder to setup, but the gain in rigidity is worth it. You will not find a vertical in that size range as stout as a horizontal. Or in most cases, any size....
Is there a (free) manual or book that explains the workings and use of a horizontal mill ? I have never seen one and just going by pictures of them on this group I don't have a clue how you would do anything but face or cut slots. I have only seen pictures of them with large disk shaped cutters or things that look like a planer blade. Do they in fact use end mills ? I will probably never own one but you never know, I didn't plan on any metal tools but now have 3 lathes and a mill.
WH

Back