Question About An Atlas Mf Horizontal Mill

I have an Atlas MFC with original Atlas vise and crank and an original overarm support. It has an original cabinet that has had doors and a shelf added. It has both the ¾ and 7/8 arbors, a full set of spacers and keys for each arbor, and a drive dog for the arbors. The spindle is MT2. It has a threaded draw bar and a knock out bar as well as a copy of the original documentation. Also included were several cutters, several MT2 end mill holders, a bunch of “T” nuts and bolts, some clamping hardware, some slitting saws and some additional odds and ends. The machine had been rebuilt by the previous owner. I have not done a thing to it in the last 4 years that I have had it except for oiling it! I paid $1500 for it. That seemed kind of high at the time but it was ready to go to work the minute I unloaded it from the truck. I love the little mill. I have since obtained a grizzly g0695 vertical mill but just can't bring myself to part with the little atlas although my wife is very willing to part with it! :).

ps - check that your atlas has a power feed "knock out" piece on the front of the table. The picture is too small to see if it is there. Those are rare (and very expensive) on ebay. It will cost you between a hundred and a hundred fifty bucks to replace it if it is missing. I would factor that into the price of the mill.

my mill also has an overarm support that extends down and clamps around the y axis shaft housing. Some of the atlas mills did not include it. It is also very expensive to replace.

Is that a dividing head I spy on the floor? Small-ish ones sell for large-ish sums.

The table power feed does seem to be a bit of a weak spot with these. Replacements are pricey and getting hard to find.

Yes, I believe it is. Thanks for the input

Excellent Posts!! Thanks you all for your help and feedback.

I am leaving to pick the machine up on Friday and will post pictures when I get back next week. The seller tells me he has located some more tooling that will be included....

Steev

Gramps1951, that vertical conversion is unlike any I’ve ever seen. Most, if not all of the ones I’ve seen clamp onto the over arm support and are driven off a pulley attaches to the main spindle. Do you have any info on who made your conversion unit and when? According to all of my sources, Atlas never made one. :frown:

Froggie :frog:

Gramps1951, that vertical conversion is unlike any I’ve ever seen. Most, if not all of the ones I’ve seen clamp onto the over arm support and are driven off a pulley attaches to the main spindle. Do you have any info on who made your conversion unit and when? According to all of my sources, Atlas never made one. :frown:

Not sure who you were trying to contact.. but it came to me. It was great to see your handle come up on my screen.

I've never seen a vertical attachment like that, either. Note that it, unlike all others that I have seen, has an extensible quill. My guess is that it was a commercial model, possibly the production prototype, that never made it to market.

Hey 34-40... I've had a pretty rough couple of years and haven't touched my MFC. Things are starting to settle down now and I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so I'm taking a shot at getting back into some of my interests. I'm making baby steps on the mill, but it looks like I'm going to have to tear into the controls and gearing of the knee... they seem to be damaged.

My reference to Gramps1951 was in regards to his pictorial of that very unusual vertical conversion for the Atlas Horizontal. It's definitely like none I've ever seen before. As you may recall, I've researched the Atlas mills pretty extensively, but I can't remember even getting a hint about that unit, so naturally I'm interested. Hey Gramps1951, if you are seeing this, any info sincerely and eagerly accepted!

Regards,

Back