Question about Clausing 8530

I thought I would throw this in for the benefit of people replacing these bearings in their Clausing mills.

There are a couple of illustrated guides out there for tearing down the head. One thing that I noticed was that they had some difficulty with the bottom oil seal retainer, which requires a spanner wrench.

The spanner that I used to remove the retainer can be had for $10 from Amazon, and is made by Park Tools for bicycle bottom brackets. The pins are the right size, and it only has to be spread a little bit to engage with the retainer. It's a little short, leverage-wise, but it worked fine for me. If your retainer seems really tight, I highly recommend Kroil and patience.

Oh, and I picked up the oil seal from eBay.

++ to purchasing a commercial spanner. Or spending the time to make a quality tool in the shop.

I spent more time fussing with the one I made from an old pair of slip joint pliers and two spent drill bits than I care to admit. Further, because the seal seat is not hardened, a lousy setup can mangle the holes.

"The spanner that I used to remove the retainer can be had for $10 from Amazon, and is made by Park Tools for bicycle bottom brackets. The pins are the right size, and it only has to be spread a little bit to engage with the retainer. It's a little short, leverage-wise, but it worked fine for me. If your retainer seems really tight, I highly recommend Kroil and patience.

Oh, and I picked up the oil seal from eBay."

Pic of tool in action on an 8530:
IMG_7061.JPG

I purchased a set of Timken 2MM205WI DUL when I did my rebuild but found that I was able to use the stock bearings after a thorough cleaning and regreasing. They were not cheap. Were I to do it over again I'd buy these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NSK-7205CT...797191&hash=item2844ddda67:g:GdwAAOSw1DtXJSRz

This info needs to put in a sticky, Clausing generally charges prices way above other vendors for similar bearings. In the case of the spindle bearings they do not offer matched pairs, but the price is still really high.

Thanks for posting this,

Brian

Their prices are better if you don't live in California. To get a true picture, you should get someone who doesn't to call them.

Back