Question about cutter height on a lathe

kb58

Registered
Registered
Years ago, a machinist showed me how to set cutter height. He used a pocket 6" scale and pinched it between the cutter and small diameter round stock, then adjusted tool height so that the scale was perfectly vertical. The reason I mention this is that lately I've been seeing a bunch of involved devices for accomplishing the same thing. Is using a scale somehow not accurate enough? I guess I don't see how the other approaches are any better.

For down and dirty jobs this works close enough . When I have a quick G job in the mill I use the same technic (sp) for finding the centerline of a shaft . Close enough for government work ! :)

For me the six-inch scale works very well. The only time I need something better is when my parting tool leaves a little nub. Then I just use the nub to help readjust the tool height. Done.
-brino

Another device was fairly simple, a piece of round stock which had been machined half way through, making a "shelf" right at centerline. The tool height is then adjusted to match the center height of that step. Not sure it's any more accurate though, but might be interesting to try.

Back in the dark ages I, as an apprentice, was taught this method of centering the tool . Its served me well.

That is how I learned from the guy at the local maker space. Still do it.

I just use a 1" round stock cut to exactly the center height. I put it on the cross slide, set the tool holder and done. I rarely have to revisit because I have enough tool holders that I leave my most used tools in them.

Google image search of 'lathe height tool' shows lots of home brew solutions.

Another thread on the subject. I am fond of Joe Pie's method, but the 6 inch rule method got me "close enough for gov't work" till I built Joe's tool.
I am not sure I produce work that would expose the difference.:eek 2:

I guess I don't see how the other approaches are any better.

You will see it quite clearly once you painstakingly set up a workpiece in your 4-jaw and then need to set up a new tool. ;)

It does not need to be elaborate. Mine is a chunk of 3/4" steel hex bar stock that I cut to be 6.021" long. I stamped those numbers in it as a reminder to not make a bolt out of the thing.

Why hex? It was the first suitable piece of stock I encountered in the scrap bin.

It's not a mandatory tool but can be handy so, "why not?"

MK

Back