Question about D1-6 spindle ...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Have been cleaning up two of my chucks, and the spindle mount for my TOS lathe. I removed the six cam lock retaining screws and the locking "barrels". after cleaning, and lubing the parts, I found the retaining screw when tightened down on the first cam lock was not allowing it to turn. I filed a little off the tip of the retaining screw which then allowed the cam lock to rotate freely. Before reinserting the rest of them I thought I would ask those of you more familiar with this system for a little guidance on proceeding. Thanks, Mike

IMG_20190430_163843319.jpg

Yes, they should rotate freely

On my D1-4 spindle there is a dimple in the cam barrel to index it at open position. There is a pin/ball at the end of the spring that rides in the slot of the cam barrel. On one of the cams the screw was slightly too long and would not allow the spring to compress enough for the ball to ride up and out of the dimple. I fixed it as you did yours. The spring is small and the length of the screws is surprisingly critical.

The chuck pins thread in, compensating tolerance on location and depth from face of receivers in spindle. I've no recollection of springs or bearing balls. The notch in the pin, obviously retains an engagement the cam 'likes'. A simple test places a loose pin in a receiver and lock the cam. You'll see a slight negative position from spindle face to face of pin.
Compared to nuts and bolts, torquing cam-locks is different. Fasteners stretch intentionally to remain tight. Cam-locks have thread depth to pull the chuck in, but the cam ratio is about all there is to stay in place. Very dependable, it won't back out, kind of like a worm will turn a gear, but a gear can't operate a worm.
Cam lock is shorter. Less expensive to manufacture. Less dependant part inventory. W-I-D-E selection in aftermarket tooling. No cross threading or scarred keys. That's why of all the spindle mountings, cam-lock is king. Once reversing motors [hello metric threading] went de rigueur, game over for threaded and taper lock. I'm betting 'A' mount is next highest acceptance; but have seen many scarred short tapers. Cam-lock pins are guided into battery before the taper gets a hit.
I'm thinking I should post my chuck manipulation bar. Any interested?
Each cam/ pin combination should be set individually, so cam locks well short 180° rotation which otherwise will loosen at some inappropriate time. Always mount a chuck, what ever type; 3/4 jaw, collet closer, face plate etc, so a pin you designate #1 goes in same hole. If it is right, all cams will have nearly identical "o'clock" position when tightened for use. Tighten same as you mount an auto wheel, across the pattern, not around 1-2-3-4. . .
Far as designating #1; in a 2,3 or 6 jaw, use one closest to the master pinion usually marked l|l, just so it's easy to find. A paint pen spot on the chuck and side of the spindle, you're good!

Thanks for the replies guys. Mike

Back