Question about mini-lathe setup (maybe)

The compound feed screw doesn't have a separate nut so there's no option to tighten that up. You're stuck with what you get as far as backlash is concerned. At least, that's how it works on my mini lathe. I'm assuming the LMS HiTorque version is similar but you never know.

As far as adjusting the gibs is concerned, I push and pull on the particular motion and screw the gib screws in until I can't feel it wiggling back & forth. This can be a bit tricky for adjusting the ones on the compound because the cross slide gibs could contribute to the "wiggle" (and vice-versa). Locking one of the axes and adjusting the other helps here. This is the procedure I use for my benchtop mill because it's easy to lock each axis as needed. The other approach is to screw the gib screws in until the compound (or cross slide) becomes too difficult to move, then back the screws off just a little. If you're ambidextrous you can adjust each screw as you turn the crank to see how it feels.

This you-tube video by Steve Jordan shows the Mini Lathe Compound Slide Locking Screw Upgrade:

Back